AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Whats the difference btw location based keyword & location targeting?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

Whats the difference between location based keywords and location targeting?

I have better quality score for keywords with the location in it.  So lets say I have a campaign targeted to New York and I have the keywords "luxury hotel" quality score (3)  when I change it to "new york luxury hotel"  quality score (7) my quality scores goes up.

I need some clarification as to why this happens because the intent is that if i type "luxury hotel" and I am in new york, my ad will show up.  Should I change it to people in my targeted location only.  Please advise.

Sophia Mowatt

PPCSophie
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Whats the difference btw location based keyword & location tar

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
How long has this been happening? Because you get a "generic" QS to start with - that is to say, what everyone else gets. Once Google starts to get real data, they'll work out what your own QS is and you'll be awarded accordingly.

Does this help?

If you see the answer to your question in this discussion, please mark that post as an accepted solution so it can help others like you to resolve their issue in the future.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello Gemma,

No thats not exactly what I'm asking and this campaign has been running for awhile and I believe because of the way it was set up, the qaulity score is low.

Its more regarding location targeting and using location based keywords and the actual locations that are targeted.

Thanks for answering

PPCSophie

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Sorry, you've lost me.

With the primary mover on QS being the click through rate, upping that will help, won't it?

As to "Its more regarding location targeting and using location based keywords and the actual locations that are targeted." were it my account, I'd simply put it to the test and see what comes out in the wash. Find out what the audience prefers - and work backwards and outwards from there.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
It makes sense that if you have a keywords of "luxury hotel" and another "luxury hotel in new york" that the latter would have a higher QS - it's more relevant and the chances are historically it's had a better CTR.

However, it would be a good start to look at your search query reports - I doubt that anyone is going to get a decent result to a search for "luxury hotel" most people are simply going to get a bunch of ads for hotels all over the place - or more likely a host of booking.com and expedia lookalikes - and will then refine their search to include the place they are looking to stay.

I cannot imagine wanting to stay in New York and running a search for "luxury hotel" is going to give me ads for hotels in New York (or organic listings for that matter) so my guess is that any bids on those kind of terms are going to be more or less wasted. I would rather expect a person wanting to stay in NYC to search for "luxury hotel new york" or similar.... at which point your ad with the locator in the headline or display url would appear.

But, again as Gemma suggests test, test and then test some more....

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@PPCSophie 

Please keep all your questions about the same topic in the same thread, since, we have answered the second part of your question in the other thread you had  opened.

You have great questions; If you could avoid  multiple posting on the same topic, so, we could all contribute to the thread without "overlapping" / spending time answering questions already answered.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/Location-targeting-and-location-based-keywor...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’