AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Whats The Best Way To Start Out Google Display Campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello! This is my first time posting here! What is the best way to start a google display campaign for conversions. 

What Budget Should You Start With?

Should You Target By Keywords Only At First?

CPC Vs CPM ?

Looking for the best possible way without going negative too much in the begging. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
April 2016

Re: Whats The Best Way To Start Out Google Display Campaign?

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Steven J, suggestions inline!

This is based on your available marketing budget, but I'd recommend maintaining a decent budget to test the waters.

Keywords are a good way to arrive at a list of placements, then weed out irrelevant or low ROI ones. However, you can also find placements directly from display planner as well.

I've seen good results with keywords + topics (AKA layering) which I'd suggest for conversion based campaigns. Here's a detailed article from our Top Contributor on how to choose keywords for GDN.

I've seen good results with In-market audiences (with a higher bid and eCPC) which I'd recommend for conversion based campaigns. PS: Please select this targeting method only if you find the exact audience. Do NOT select audiences that are related to (but not actually) your product/service.

CPC Vs CPM ?

CPM based auctions are a good fit for branding objective. I'd suggest CPC (with enhanced CPC) for conversion based campaigns.

Apart from setting up campaigns, I'd recommend refining them (like weeding out irrelevant searches in a search campaign) regularly by looking at placements, ad formats, sizes and bidding methods, which is a part of the optimization process generally.

Hope that helps, feel free to write back!

Sumanth Sridhar

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
April 2016

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Steven J, suggestions inline!

This is based on your available marketing budget, but I'd recommend maintaining a decent budget to test the waters.

Keywords are a good way to arrive at a list of placements, then weed out irrelevant or low ROI ones. However, you can also find placements directly from display planner as well.

I've seen good results with keywords + topics (AKA layering) which I'd suggest for conversion based campaigns. Here's a detailed article from our Top Contributor on how to choose keywords for GDN.

I've seen good results with In-market audiences (with a higher bid and eCPC) which I'd recommend for conversion based campaigns. PS: Please select this targeting method only if you find the exact audience. Do NOT select audiences that are related to (but not actually) your product/service.

CPC Vs CPM ?

CPM based auctions are a good fit for branding objective. I'd suggest CPC (with enhanced CPC) for conversion based campaigns.

Apart from setting up campaigns, I'd recommend refining them (like weeding out irrelevant searches in a search campaign) regularly by looking at placements, ad formats, sizes and bidding methods, which is a part of the optimization process generally.

Hope that helps, feel free to write back!

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Thanks For The Quick Reply!

I did have a campaign with a budget around $700 but it kept going negative so i ended up pausing it for now, I lost control of it to be honest. But When testing the water is around $20 a day okay or should it be more then that?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

$20 should be good to start with. Did you take a look at the previous campaign to see what wasn't working. I'd do that to refine my strategy.

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I deleted it because i wanted to start refresh.. It was a wrong move cause it was breaking even i could of refined it.

2 last question:

if i do keywords + topics how do i set the CPC is that still based off keyword cpc?
How many Keywords Should I Start Out With? 10-20 ?

So here is my new plan

$20 Budget
CPC to start with then switch to enhanced CPC after a few days of uploading conversions
Keyword Targeting

Letting it run and weeding out placements that generally have low conversions or none at all.
Also at the same time will watch the demo to see what Age Group and Parental Status converts the best .

While Re: Whats The Best Way To Start Out Google Display Campaign?

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

if i do keywords + topics how do i set the CPC is that still based off keyword cpc?

While using multiple targeting methods, you'll have to select primary and secondary. This is done using 'Target & Bid' and 'Bid only'. In this case, keywords would be primary (target & Bid) and Topics secondary (bid only). Here's a very recent and detailed article on this.

How many Keywords Should I Start Out With? 10-20 ?

This article should help.

Good luck and feel free to write back!

Sumanth Sridhar

Re: While Re: Whats The Best Way To Start Out Google Display Campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you!! I Read Everything Twice!

Here is my setup so far!

1. Display Keywords ( 40 Not Too Specific But Yet Not To Broad Keywords )
2. 5 Broad Topics ( Ex: Shopping, News, Beauty and health ect... )
4. Budget Set at $25.00
5. CPC Set at .80 For Keyword
6. Topics are using ad group bid witch is .80 ( Is that okay? I Guess i use custom bids on topics that are converting well as i get data ? )

Is their anything you would change?

Thanks