AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What to do when the KW doesn't fit the visible URL?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello!

Does anybody have found a way to get a good relevance score (in the QS) in those cases where the entire keyword doesn't fit the visible URL and/or the headline?

I have yet to test if it can be accomplished by using two ads and adding some text in one and the rest of in the other.

Thanks!

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: What to do when the KW doesn't fit the visible URL?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Luan R,

"Low search volume" just means not enough people used the search query. It's no more or less convenient for them to use the short or long tail. Google's reasoning here is it's a privacy issue, too few searches allows you to identify the user who did use that query.

QS on your keywords is all about CTR, plain and simple. Are you using DKI in your ads? No, I'm not recommending you do, but if you do, take those long tail keywords and place them in a different ad group along with ads that relate to those keywords even if the keyword doesn't fit.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Luan
I've come across this before. It's an incredibly frustrating problem. The only consolation is that your competitors are going through the same thing.

The key thing to remember here is that CTR is king. Test as much as you can because even a marginal improvement in CTR over your competitors will make a difference here. Make sure it's in the description and make sure you set up sitelinks containing it too which offer a bit more flexibility.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you Dave!

This issue has a big impact on long tail keywords, it's really frustrating and it is specially problematic on those exact match keywords that we add because they have converted in the past and maybe are long tail.
This added to the "low volume search" probably means Google wants us to use short tail because it's more convenient for them, since we lose QS and pay more per click Smiley Sad
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Luan R,

"Low search volume" just means not enough people used the search query. It's no more or less convenient for them to use the short or long tail. Google's reasoning here is it's a privacy issue, too few searches allows you to identify the user who did use that query.

QS on your keywords is all about CTR, plain and simple. Are you using DKI in your ads? No, I'm not recommending you do, but if you do, take those long tail keywords and place them in a different ad group along with ads that relate to those keywords even if the keyword doesn't fit.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Luan,

Pete and Dave have already mentioned you the key factors, I would like to add just few things.
Low search volume keywords may still have impressions if some searches similar to/exactly those keywords but chances are rare.
Also if your low search volume keywords have a good QS (above 7), I recommend you not to remove those keywords but add some additional short tails keywords related to those.
As low search volume keywords will not effect your CTR and Conversion rate but the QS of thoes KW will be added with the other lower QS keywords to build up the avg. QS better.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’