AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What to do once you uncover long tail?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Ok so ive been running broad and phrase match, and wow is all i can say.

I never used it but ive been uncovering both good and quality+cheap clicks which is amazing. Everyday im checking and adding negatives to the adgroup though, which is ok, and i can see half the battle to finding cheap clicks is be willing to pay for the untargeted or irrelevant ones you just have to -neg over time in the adgroup.

Im not sure what to do once i uncover a long tail i either know is good or has a chance of being good. After i see some clicks on it and conversions should i set it up on exact match in its own ad group to really make a nice TARGETED AD?

Example:

Campaign 1

broad: Buy Shoes

Ad:

Looking to Buy Shoes Online?

We have over 40,000 Shoes in Stock

Register Today and Get up to 20% Off!

www. sellingshoes .com/buy-shoes

then lets say that uncovers a long tail such as   Where to buy rubber shoes

Should i then go and set this up exact match in a new adgroup even if there isnt alot of traffic?

So make an adgroup for [where to buy rubber shoes]

Make New ad for the long tail:

Campaign2

Exact Match: Where to buy rubber shoes

Looking to Buy Rubber Shoes?

We have over 40,000 Rubber Shoes

Register Today and Get up to 20% Off!

www. sellingshoes .com/rubber-shoes

I would assume this strategy would give me a higher quality score and CTR in my ad, hence lowering my costs? But am i going to do this for 4,000 long tails over time?

Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Curiouss
September 2015

Re: What to do once you uncover long tail?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
"If one keyword is identical to the search term, the system will prefer to use that keyword to trigger an ad, regardless of the ad group the keyword is in.

If this is true.... even if its bidding less than its phrase match, then i have no concerns... i figured it triggered whatever was bidding more.

What are you working with for an existing account structure?
Not sure what that question means in terms but the account is fairly knew.... now im using phrase match and just not sure how to approach long tails and the finer details. Thanks Tommy.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

I guess is really going to be a function of your existing account structure. Given your example, I would think that you may already have some related ad groups or keywords for 'rubber shoes' with equally relevant ad copies where you could add in this keyword as an exact match.

If not, and you sell rubber shoes, if traffic and data support the idea, I would take this as an opportunity to create such as ad group with related 'rubber shoes' keywords.

IMO, single kw ad groups are rarely necessary and I think this type of strategy could lead to management nightmares...especially over time if you end up with 50, 200, 500 1000+ ad groups with one exact match keyword each. It could be quite challenging to say the least.

That's my take anyways based on your example.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Fair enough. Will exact match always over ride phrase match, even if phrase match is bidding more?

"buy shoes" max bid: $1.00

but then again, lets say we uncovered: Where to buy rubber shoes

But we know we only want to pay .70c max click.

If i put [where to buy rubber shoes] in its own ad group and bid .70c it will never display because "buy shoes" will display instead for that keyword because its max bid is $1.00

Im starting to think if i add a long tail to a new adgroup i need to add it as a negative keyword to the phrase match version:

adgroup1 "Buy shoes" Bid $1.00
adgroup2 [where to buy rubber shoes] bid .70c

Do i need to add [where to buy rubber shoes] as a negative keyword to adgroup1 to ensure adgroup2 displays even though its bidding less for the same phrase?

Thanks, great response.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

There are a number scenarios on what happens when multiple variations of keywords match a search query:  https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en - in this example, the exact match keyword would get the impression.

"If one keyword is identical to the search term, the system will prefer to use that keyword to trigger an ad, regardless of the ad group the keyword is in. This is true even if there are other ad groups with keywords similar to the search term."

Adding the exact negative (embedding negatives) shouldn't be needed in this case where the keywords are not the same. It would be different if you were dealing with the same keyword in multiple ad groups [where to buy rubber shoes] in one ad group and "where to buy rubber shoes" in another ad group - you would definitely want the exact negative in the ad group that contains the phrase match version of that keyword (same with broad or modified broad).

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Curiouss
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
"If one keyword is identical to the search term, the system will prefer to use that keyword to trigger an ad, regardless of the ad group the keyword is in.

If this is true.... even if its bidding less than its phrase match, then i have no concerns... i figured it triggered whatever was bidding more.

Not sure what that question means in terms but the account is fairly knew.... now im using phrase match and just not sure how to approach long tails and the finer details. Thanks Tommy.