AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What techniques should I use to quantitatively evaluate ad copy?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I can optimize on keywords, adgroups and even landing pages...what about adjectives and "CTA"? Any ideas for best practices to apply rigorous analysis to identify what words and phrases in ad copy drive the most business? Especially if it involves analysis of prior ad content (not just experiments going forward).

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @David B

Interesting question and one I am familiar with. 

First, I must mention there are a lot of variables at play here, naturally with multiple factors that could affect each ad, (such as device, time of day, time period of test, intent, product, literally 100s). However, if set up in a structured way, i do exactly the kind of analysis you are looking to do in excel and via filters or labels. I actually find some fascinating results, for example, between ads with numbers and ads with no numbers for example, just a  coincidence or statistically proven? Of course it may just be other causal factors at play and not just the semiotics, but nevertheless an interesting observation all other things equal, and in my particular accounts of course which may be very different for other acc managers. I would recommend labelling ads, perhaps using 'with' and 'without conditions' and start off with small tests perhaps even in a few ad groups. Therefore you are comparing a 'with' vs a 'without' (up to you what actual conditions these are but please keep the rest of the ad the same). I would be careful with the conclusions however, as there are so many variables and reasons that may be causal factors or antecedents of the ad. For example, be mindful of a with vs a without device split, kw matches, time of day, location, and so forth. That said however, should the sample sizes be large enough, I have conducted many tests where I have satisfied myself of a positive link between ads and my final objectives (sign up, sale etc) in many accounts. I think its a really useful and excellent way to deliver additional analysis. 

As i say, be really careful with the factors at play here but if you are a fellow maths geek and love sampling and fair tests, this is a beautiful playground with an often ready stream of data free flowing from the cup Smiley Happy The challenge of course is ticking each best practice box and there associated benefits, with the benefits of the end objective and their impacts on each other.

I wish you luck and as i say, we use excel or mySQL depending on which analyst is free at the time. 

Just to mention, this goes beyond ads also. There are any number of x and y's you can analyse. 

Fun times (at least for the number geeks Smiley Happy )

James

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

If you want a rigorous statistical analysis  of various ad- copies - use draft experiments.

This does require some background in statistics.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’