AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What's your way of anticipating irrelevant queries when using BMM?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey everyone,

What's your way for discovering irrelevant search queries that trigger your BMM keywords/ads when they aren't being clicked on?

Search query reports only give you data once the ad has been clicked on -- but what I'm asking is proactive anticipation of potential negatives. Some people recommend the keyword planner, others recommend various keyword research tools.

What's your trick?

Cheers,

Michal

2 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi @Michal B,

Please note that if there are many impression(without click) on a particular search term, the system will show the details in SQR.

Proactive approach with negative keywords to prevent unwanted impressions depends on the niche and the goal.

You can use some generic terms which can be added in broad through shared library. Additionally, there are some niche specific keywords which you can add.

Then comes your search term report to weed out all the irrelevant term which you missed to add proactively.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

"Proactive approach with negative keywords to prevent unwanted impressions depends on the niche and the goal."

Correct, however the question was: 

"What's your way for discovering irrelevant search queries that trigger your BMM keywords/ads when they aren't being clicked on?"

DO you use any particular tools to help you with your research? Smiley Happy

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

You can use the Keyword Planner tool, but it will only give you search queries that will most likely appear in the search terms report eventually anyway. Still it is better to exclude them before you pay for a click.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply.

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi,

As mentioned by @RobSkelton, You can use the Keyword Planner tool.

You can put those terms(from keywords ideas) as negative keywords which you find irrelevant to your services.

You can find out such generic or niche based list of negatives on Google, there are various sites where such lists are available.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michal B
May

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

Hello Michal B,

A little thing that I like to do is enter your keyword into a Google live search query bar and note the Google suggestions that automate as you are typing. This will give you a good idea of what other users have entered in the past. Also, I like to add a # before my keyword and that will put words Before my keyword. (see example below) After entering your keyword into the field scroll down to the bottom of the page and look at what Google suggests as "Searches related to" 

Eg If my Keyword is Old books, I also see Terms like 

Old Books of England 

Old Bookstore 

Old books for sale

If I add the # before Old Books - # old Books I see 

Sell Old Books 

What to do with old books 

Value of old books 

Sell old books Online

Now by entering your Keyword into Google and scrolling to the bottom of the page, I see. 

Searches Related to old books

Antique books Value 

Sell Antique books 

old books worth money 

list of old books 

Vintage books for decoration 

old books to read 

antique book buyers

old book titles

This is just my way of starting a negative keyword list. 

Hope that helps.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply. Does this trick work with Bing's autocomplete as well? https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/cognitive-services/autosuggest/

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

Yes, I use it all the time, one other quick observation. As you are scrolling take a look at the ads that Google populated (these are your competitors) see what they are Advertising. Take a look at the organic ads as well, all of these things will give you incite to negative keywords or possibly other keywords you would like to target. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, great advice. How come the hashtag # method doesn't work with: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/cognitive-services/autosuggest/