Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What's the winning strategy? Start working in existing account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

I'm starting to manage the existing AdWords account which is about 2 years old. The account was maneaged in amateur level: all keywords in broad match, no negative keywords, no bid strategy, bad account structure etc. Dispite this accout has very good results: impressive CTR (avarage 15%), conversion rate (about 5%). But it's clear the part of budget is spent ineffective and there're a lot of ways to impove the account performance. Wish to ask your advice. What's the winning strategy to improve performance? Should I pause all keywords in existing campaigns, create new campaigns, and put this keywords in new campaigns (with proper bids, match type etc.)? Or it's to risky because of cost per click can raise? Or it's better to change ads, bids and match types in existing campaigns? What's better solution? What's your experience starting working with existing accounts? Thans in advance for you answers.  

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What's the winning strategy? Start working in existing account

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

If you know there are ways to improve account performance and effectiveness then you should go forward with that.

I wouldn't pause the campaines if they are producing. Take out the bad performing keywords and ads and either start new ad groups or campaigns with them or delete them. Just reduce and optimize the existing good campaigns and isolate the the bad ones.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

Honestly I have never handled any account where everything is on broad so my advice might not be the best one. But if i was you I would create proper account structure with themes and different adgroups and campaigns for different match types.

But at the same time I would also find out top performing keywords in the current campaign and I will run them in a different campaign, making sure you dont have these competing with other keywords which you have on your new structure. 

If the keywords from old campaigns are brand keywords then I guess there is no harm in shifting them to new structure but if they are non brand terms then definitely i would continue with them atleast for some time. 

Also it might be worth looking at search queries which are giving you high conversion rates and testing them on exact in your new structure by pausing relevant keywords in old campaign. 

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello adprolv,

Welcome to the community.

If the account has run for two years without being managed correctly then I imagine there will be plenty of information in the keyword search term report that you can use due to the keywords being on broad match. Review the list, identify the irrelevant search terms and start creating negative keywords based on your findings as this will reduce costs immediately. Set the same data by conversions and start building on existing keyword lists and / or create new ad groups also in order to boost your current total conversions and rates. The above is just one practice which will allow you to improve the account safely without the risk of changing the current positive performance.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Adprolv,

Just want to give a heads up here.

You said the results are great. I do agree 5% conversion rate is good, but only if you are directly selling a product or service.

But if the conversion here means number of 'leads', then you should have a close look at this 'result'.

Because when it come to 'leads' the quality (later resulting in sales) is more important than the numbers (number of conversions or conversion rate).

So please have a close look at the combination of actual search terms which resulted in conversion and associated ads.

This is very serious issue for a 'loose' account as the one you described.

Just a thought,

Deepak

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Painperdu,

it's a good advise. One of my first steps is going to be - 1) find out underperforming keywords and pause them 2) find out keyword which I'll add to negative. The good performing keyword stay running but they're in broad match. Should I change match type to phrase/exact? Is it a good solution?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey, ScottyD,

thank for great advice. Your're right. There're a plenty of keywords in search terms. I'm goint to pause underperforming keywords and add negative.

I remember about four months ago I started to work with existing account. I paused running keywords and started to run them in new campaign and ad groups. Was it mistake? I noticed cost per click raised 40-50% and I could get it back only after two months. Why cost per click raised? Was it normal or my case was an exeption?

I'm not so good in English Smiley Happy or probably I don't have enough experience but can you please tell this in other words or whay do you mean by this? "Set the same data by conversions and start building on existing keyword lists and / or create new ad groups also in order to boost your current total conversions and rates."

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Since the keywords have been running so long in broad match browse through your search terms report to get a good idea how relevant broad match has been for your campaigns. If they're obviously not relevant then make them negative.

At this point you should be able to tell which keywords would be better for phrase and/or exact.