AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What's the advantage of using frequency capping for a CPC Ad?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am not clear on what's the advantage of using frequency capping for a CPC campaign.

If the Ads are shown more to the same people what's the downside? I am paying for clicks not for impressions.

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: What's the advantage of using frequency capping for a CPC Ad?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Joe_Ba,

Welcome to the community..!

Frequency capping is a feature that limits the number of times your ads appear to the same person on the Display Network.

If you are ads are shown to the same people again and again, there is a high chance that people will find your ads boring (due to over exposure) and user interaction with you ads (clicks) will be reduced. This low CTR will reduce your quality score, reducing your ads position and performance in the long run.

Please find more information about frequency capping below.

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/117579?hl=en

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472714

Hope this helps,

Deepak

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Just to add to Deepak's great reply, I find its especially important to use frequency capping when you are running remarketing campaigns. If someone visits your site and then leave and all they see are your ads all over the place it can feel creepy, a bit like online stalking and there is a fine line between getting your message back in front of them and annoying your potential customers. 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Joe_Ba,

Welcome to the community..!

Frequency capping is a feature that limits the number of times your ads appear to the same person on the Display Network.

If you are ads are shown to the same people again and again, there is a high chance that people will find your ads boring (due to over exposure) and user interaction with you ads (clicks) will be reduced. This low CTR will reduce your quality score, reducing your ads position and performance in the long run.

Please find more information about frequency capping below.

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/117579?hl=en

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472714

Hope this helps,

Deepak

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Just to add to Deepak's great reply, I find its especially important to use frequency capping when you are running remarketing campaigns. If someone visits your site and then leave and all they see are your ads all over the place it can feel creepy, a bit like online stalking and there is a fine line between getting your message back in front of them and annoying your potential customers. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Very good point Deepak! Do you have any suggestion on the maximum number of impressions per day for a real estate campaign? Thanks, Joe

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Adam. Very good point. So what should be the max number of impressions per day for people that have not been on the site versus the ones that have already? It would be great if you could have a suggestion.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi joe_ba,

There isn't really a one size fits all for this, just like any other part of AdWords you need to test it and see what works for you.

I normally set mine at around 15-30 per day (it does vary per industry) but you can be quite clever when you set it up.

As it lets you choose campaign, adgroup or ad level for your capping, you can create ads that look and feel completely different so the user may see one ad 15 times, but a different ad another 15 times. This way it's less noticable to them that you are targeting them specifically.

Tip: Use your reach and frequency reporting in the dimensions tab to help ;-)