AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What results to expect when moving low performing adgroups to another campaign?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I moved my low performing ad groups to a separate campaign.  What results am I looking for in my well-performing campaign to see if this strategy has "worked"?

Just to give an example, the ad groups in question had some impressions, no clicks and no conversions.  I moved them to a different Campaign while leaving the ones with high CTR+high conversion in the old Campaign.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author SEM_SAM
September 2015

Re: What results to expect when moving low performing adgroups to another campaign?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Tudor,

My comment was also about what changes you should be making to get better performance from your new campaign Smiley Happy

I am assuming that the reason you moved your low performing ad groups to a new campaign is that you need to improve the performance of those ad groups (if that is not the case then there is no point in moving those ad groups, just delete them)

As you moved those low performing ad groups you may see a slight positive impact on the CTR of your original campaign as you are moving the keywords with impressions but no clicks.

As these ad groups did not get any clicks (no spend) there won't be any difference in the performance of your initial campaign unless you make further changes (for example new ad copies).

As your low performing ad groups were not even getting clicks there won't be any difference in clicks/conversion metrics.

Now the question is how you can improve the performance of those low performing keywods/ad groups,

You can try some of the following

Check the ad groups and find why they are not getting clicks.

1. The issue can be ad position - try increasing the bids (Getting a seperate budget in the new campaign itself is a good beginning)

2. Check the ads - Make sure they are related with the keywords and targeted.

3. More granular ad groups - This will helps you to write more targeted ad copies.

4. Don't forget to move your negative keywords to new campaign.

Once you have targeted ads and favourable ad positions you will start to get more clicks and coversions from the new campaign.

Hope this makes sense,

Info

View solution in original post

Re: What results to expect when moving low performing adgroups to another campaign?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Tudor,

I think moving your low performing ad groups to a new campaign should be the beginning of the process to 'make them work'.

You can not expect a performance difference just by moving them to a new campaign.

You should find the reasons why these ad groups are not performing.

Simply moving them some times produces results. If the low performance was beacuase of low exposure due to budget and in the new campaign if the low performing ad groups gets a seperate budget for them, they may start to perform.

But the performance improvement still depends on doing the basics right. Granular grouping, targeted ad copies, getting a better profitable ad position, proper negative keywords, network/device selection etc.

The biggest advantage now you have is that you have the low performing ad groups in a seperate campaign so you can monitor them seperately. So find the reason why they didn't perform and "make them work". 

Info

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks, Info. I suppose my question was not around "why dont these low performing adgroups work", the question is "what changes should happen to a campaign when you remove low performing adgroups (theoretically speaking)". SHould I see the CTR on the whole increase? Clicks? Conversions? etc.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author SEM_SAM
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Tudor,

My comment was also about what changes you should be making to get better performance from your new campaign Smiley Happy

I am assuming that the reason you moved your low performing ad groups to a new campaign is that you need to improve the performance of those ad groups (if that is not the case then there is no point in moving those ad groups, just delete them)

As you moved those low performing ad groups you may see a slight positive impact on the CTR of your original campaign as you are moving the keywords with impressions but no clicks.

As these ad groups did not get any clicks (no spend) there won't be any difference in the performance of your initial campaign unless you make further changes (for example new ad copies).

As your low performing ad groups were not even getting clicks there won't be any difference in clicks/conversion metrics.

Now the question is how you can improve the performance of those low performing keywods/ad groups,

You can try some of the following

Check the ad groups and find why they are not getting clicks.

1. The issue can be ad position - try increasing the bids (Getting a seperate budget in the new campaign itself is a good beginning)

2. Check the ads - Make sure they are related with the keywords and targeted.

3. More granular ad groups - This will helps you to write more targeted ad copies.

4. Don't forget to move your negative keywords to new campaign.

Once you have targeted ads and favourable ad positions you will start to get more clicks and coversions from the new campaign.

Hope this makes sense,

Info

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Tudor,

To reinforce Info's explanations above, simply moving underperforming keywords or ad groups to a different campaign usually will not result in any sort of immediate "boost" in performance in the campaign they were moved from.

If the initial campaign's budget was being consumed by higher trafficked ad groups, breaking the "underperforming" ad groups out into their own campaign can allow them to gain more impressions so you can evaluate their performance more accurately.

There are a lot of variables here and it really depends on your specific scenario, you may say immediate fluctuations in performance metrics but this would most likely be due to impressions/clicks being attributed somewhere else. As for actual performance gains, this would come from optimizing your underperforming ad groups in a separate campaign. As Info stated, "making them work".

Alex

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Okay, I see, I was hoping there would be some sort of immediate boost as the QS at the campaign level might be increased, but I suppose its more of a function of taking adgroups that are leeching on the overall budget and putting them elsewhere. Okay, thank you!