AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What is the priority of bidding when I use demographic targeting in Search?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to decrease bids for men in my campaigns but I use Target search page location bidding strategy. Which rule would be applied first? If I lower bids for men and then AdWords increases bids to show my ad on higher position, whole demographic targeting is useless for me.
Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Demographic targeting aims to narrow the targeted audience (= the number of users to whom the ad is shown if wins the auction).

This is prior to entering the auction. If the user's  search term is matched to a keyword, the system also checks demographic. If meets the condition, then the keyword will enter the auction and competes with all other advertisers who bid on the same keyword.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry, I used a wrong term: I meant demographic bidding. I don't want to narrow the targeted audience, I would like to bid differently for men and women.

So my question is which is applied first - demographic bidding or bidding strategy in Campaign settings?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

On the search network you bid on keywords.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: What is the priority of bidding when I use demographic targeting in Search?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, you bid on KW, but you can use bidding strategy and bid adjusments (see screenshots). And I am asking which one do AdWords apply first

bidding strategy.JPGdemographic targeting.JPG

bidding strategy

bid adjusments

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I think there is a misunderstanding here. Based on the screenshot  this is a display campaign while in your question you mentioned Search.

Read here how multiple bid adjustments are calculated;

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2732132?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I mentioned Search in my question and there is also Search campaign in the screenshot. I am talking about quite new feature - Demographic targeting for Search. It allows you to apply bid adjustments for demographic groups in Search. 

There is nothing about demographic bid adjusments in the article you mentioned. However, my problem is not multiple bid adjustments beacause if you use bidding strategy in Campaign settings, it is not a bid adjustment. I am asking, how this bidding strategy and any bid adjustment work together.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Beáta S
December 2016

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

And I referred you to  the exact article explaining  how the bid adjustment work with your bid, including an example.