AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What is the impact of turning campaigns on and off

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, 

When I typically set up a new campaign, it can take a little time to build up performance (i.e. CTR's tend to go up and CPC's tend to drop over time).

Assuming I haven't made any bid changes, ad text changes etc - If I were to pause this campaign for a couple of months and then turn it back on, is the campaign performance more likely to continue as it was when it was paused - or am I more likely to see performance drop again to it's 'new' state?

Appreciate your input.

Cheers, Harry

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Harry L
September 2015

Re: What is the impact of turning campaigns on and off

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Harry,

I have to agree with Fenna & Moshe on this. I too personally feel there are multiple factors affecting account performance and have seen its effects on my campaigns. While Remarketing/Display campaigns can go back on track in a few days, Search & Display network campaigns are totally different case.

I have seen my Search/ Display campaigns take weeks to get back on track. The thing is while your campaign was paused the majority of the cases, the competition scenario changes over time, the cpc's that you were running your ads on could be lower/higher than what is optimal for performance at the moment. I would ideally wait for a day or two to see performance recorded and then go on to optimize my bids to try and get the performance back on track or atleast improve over time.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Harry,
HI Harry,

This totally depends on the context. There are many Factors influencing your performance, like seasonality or competitors or other market changes. Your performance will not be exactly the same, since the circumstances are constantly changing.

Good luck,

Fenna

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Campaign history is a factor on account performance. Paused campaigns are considered. However, their effect (since paused) diminishes over time.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello,

A small addition to what has been said above, it's really unpredictable how things will be when you turn on the campaign after a long delay. As rightly said above, ever evolving digital advertising, the competition and other outside factors does matter apart from the fact how the campaign had performed in the past inside the account.

It may be possible that you can see first page bid issues due to rise in the competition which again might impact the Quality Score and finally the Ad Rank during the ad auction process. So, everything is inter dependent and you need to cope up with that to make sure your campaigns perform optimally well.

My 2 cents!

Pankaj 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Harry L
September 2015

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Harry,

I have to agree with Fenna & Moshe on this. I too personally feel there are multiple factors affecting account performance and have seen its effects on my campaigns. While Remarketing/Display campaigns can go back on track in a few days, Search & Display network campaigns are totally different case.

I have seen my Search/ Display campaigns take weeks to get back on track. The thing is while your campaign was paused the majority of the cases, the competition scenario changes over time, the cpc's that you were running your ads on could be lower/higher than what is optimal for performance at the moment. I would ideally wait for a day or two to see performance recorded and then go on to optimize my bids to try and get the performance back on track or atleast improve over time.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi - thanks very much for all the answers.

So I think I'm interpreting you correctly here. While the campaign may not get back on track straight away, this is mostly due to other factors such as what other competitors are doing / how they are bidding, seasonality etc. The very act of turning the campaign off and then restarting a couple of months later is not penalised in itself in any way.

Have I got that correct?

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Hi Harry,

Yes, you have understood our point of view correctly.

You will never be penalized in any way for Pausing and then restarting campaigns ever. You may just have to catch up to current market conditions and trends to ensure optimal performance in your campaigns.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Does turning off the campaign for a few hours matter at all?