AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What is the cause of daily variation in performance and how can we correct it

am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

We see a significant daily fluctuation in performance of our campains. For example see the statistics of one of our campaign for GMAIL placement:

Date                     Clicks              Impressions         CTR            Conversions          CPA

Jul 11, 2012            68                   111,252             0.06%                10                   65

Jul 12, 2012            63                   116,448             0.05%                 3                   199

The clicks, impressions, CTR etc is quite uniform, but the conversions vary a lot resulting in huge variation in CPA.

While the average CPA and other metrics over a MONTH are fairly uniform and predictable, we are unable to understand the DAILY variations.

Is there any reason for this kind of variation in conversions? Everything is the same in the two dates mentioned. These dates are also mid week when there is no effect of holidays.

The only rationale for this variation appears to be variation in traffic quality (same 60 odd clicks on each day, but different quality of clicks). It seems somehow we get "bad quality traffic" on some days and "good quality traffic" on other days. In a display campaign focussed on gmail, there is no other variable that we can control to manage the traffic quality.

Is there any way to control this. Are there any automated rules that we can run to avoid the bad quality traffic leading to low conversions on specific days?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

am

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What is the cause of daily variation in performance and how can we correct it

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

I am also facing the same issue on Content Network... I also want to get rid of this problem.

Kindly give your expert suggestion.

Thanks
Anchal

Re: What is the cause of daily variation in performance and how can we correct it

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi am,

Since your issue is only for the gmail placement, I think you should analyze this further.

Check the postions your ads are converting for you. You could explicitly state that you want your ads on the top of the gmail  inbox.

Add more Keywords. This will help Google choose the right kind of content to show your ad next to.

Also, optimize your ads for conversions. If there is some specific ad getting you conversions, use that more often!

Heres how to add new KWs and position your ads correctly: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2404243

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Shweta

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi ShroffS,

The issue is not just restricted to gmail placement, but I have taken that example because there are no other variable left to tweak in gmail placement in content network.

I am not sure whether there would be any impact if I add more keywords (there are already 15 keywords). I am using only one ad, so there should not be any variation because of ad.

Also, the ads are mostly showing ad position of about 3 on average (right side of gmail inbox when you open the mails).

I still think that the variation is due to traffic quality changes on day to day basis. The question is, how do you control it?

How can I avoid bad traffic (i.e. not converting traffic) being sent by gmail placements?

Regards

am

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

It seems somehow we get "bad quality traffic" on some days and "good quality traffic" on other days.

That´s normal and I do believe that a - albeit big in terms of % - a variation of 10 to 3 is small enough to be explained  by normal variation.

What does the display-campaign keyword-level report say. Maybe there is some keywords that get a lot of conversions, and some that get none? You could to some extent restrict when your ads should show up in gmail by adding negative or deleting keywords.

am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

The display-campaign keyword level report shows a fairly uniform CTR and conversion rate for all the keywords. There were a few keywords that were outliers in terms of lower performance, so we had deleted them quite some time ago.

My understanding is that in display campaign, anyway the keywords are taken together as a theme and hence optimization at keyword level beyond a point is not possible (unlike search).

Any other method of reducing variation?

Thanks

am

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

Good morning, am - 

You asked, "I still think that the variation is due to traffic quality changes on day to day basis. The question is, how do you control it?"

I'm afraid that the answer is you can't necessarily control it. If certain keywords perform well for you and produce conversions, then those are obviously the keywords you're going to want to advertise on. However, you can't do anything about the fact that not all people are going t be using those phrases in the same way or with the same "intent."

As long as you're avoiding Broad match keywords (which are going to be matched to a very wide range of searches), all you can really do is to monitor your search terms report, add search terms that appear to convert well, block search terms that are not good for your purposes (via negative keywords), and constantly try to narrow in on the precise traffic you want.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi am!

It seems like contextual targeting functions much more on keyword level and little less on ad group "theme" level than before:

http://adwords.blogspot.se/2012/03/better-way-to-buy-display.html

The implications of this are potentially huge, but we know yet not much about how it works and what the effects are

In display network there is only 1 kind of match type: broad

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

My apologie - the advertiser, am, did not say they were advertising only on Display network. I was assuming the campaign was targeted to both Display and Search.

In that case, change my advice to mine the search query list to mining the placement sites and blocking the one sending a lot of traffic, but no conversions.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Theresa,

Thank you for your comment. However, I was talking about display network (specifically gmail placement). Unfortunately, the science of search terms, match type and precise targeting does not work in display network.

In gmail placement, we have narrowed down all the variables (few tightly themed keywords, only one placement). Now it looks like we have no other variable left to control the variation.

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome!

Cheers

am