4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What is the best way to restrucure the PPC account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What would be the best way to restructure the PPC account, Where there are large account which gets so confusing and very difficult to manage with 200 ad groups, 20 campaign,10,000 keywords etc..

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What is the best way to restrucure the PPC account

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Johnny,

If there are 10K keywords one would hope there are at least 200 Ad groups and 20 campaigns. It seems like there was some optimization of the terms, to have a tight focus on what one is advertising. Which is exactly what your want!

Difficult to manage is based upon not understanding the system or how Google Adwords works. You posted about being an SEO and why should one use Adwords, so your experience with the Platform is limited at best.

The suggestion is for you to learn the platform before you Undo something that might already be a positive just because of a lack of understanding.

Trust me, I was in the same boat, an SEO from 1997- 2012 ish and finally took the Adwords Plunge and have never looked back. The bonus for you is if you understand the fundamentals of SEO you are already well above the curve about how things work in general, and just need to learn the fundamentals of AdWords.

Google Adwords Get Started - Help Infomation
https://support.google.com/adwords/?hl=en#topic=3119071

Start studying, know what's where, what does what, and you will pick it up really quickly.

If you have a monster account like that, I would start to learn some of the Automation rules and look into scripts to help you decipher and manage what's what.

If you understand the basics and how things work, would be to perform an account audit to determine what is working and what is not working, before making and drastic changes.

Hope that helps.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Johnny,

I would recommend to start it from scratch in an excel sheet. Because if you try to restructure through adwords itself by going to each campaign/ad group you will soon go crazy and there is no shortcuts to this.

I know this will be time consuming but there is no other option and you have to do it manually. But the time would be spending is for once only and you will feel happy later on after you have created tightly themed campaigns/ad groups as there will rarely be any movement in future.

Take down your 10 K keywords list in an excel, remove any duplicates and keep only one match type initially. Then segment those keywords by the products, brand, generic terms, competitors etc. You would be able to segment it a bit quicker if you know the website and it's products well. Then start grouping similar set of keywords (by segment) and give an ad group name and continue to do so. Then filter out all the unique ad groups by campaign and create ad copies for it.

Regards,
Ashish

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Johnny Craig C as @Eric Gehler has suggested, being "difficult to manage" isn't in itself a reason to re-structure an Account.  Large Accounts can be difficult to manage, that's why there are professional managers who devote their entire time into doing so.  So the first thing I'd say is that you should look at whether the difficulty to manage is a factor of your own limitations (time free to work on the Account, knowledge of automation options, etc.) or whether it's actually a flaw in the current structure.  As Eric has said, 10K Keywords and only 200 Ad Groups (an average of 50 Keywords per Group) doesn't sound very well focused so it's quite possible there are flaws in the current structure.

However, there is no "best way" to structure an Account.  Ask 10 different professional managers how to structure a given Account and they'll probably give you 30 different answers.  In general terms, you should first clearly identify the objectives and goals of the Account.  This may sound obvious but I've seen many where these objectives are very vague.  "More sales", for example, may sound like an objective but is it more sales of all products, or is that unrealistic given varying profit margins?  Is it more sales to new customers or to those who have bought previously?  Is it more single sales of products or do you want to encourage multiple items in the basket by upselling on the site?  

Once you have the objective, you must then concentrate on focus.  If there's one common problem I see with virtually all AdWords Accounts it is a lack of focus within Ad Groups.  To get the best performance you need your Keywords to be very closely related to each and the same, single product or service.   If you sell sportswear, having a single Ad Group for shoes is nowhere near focused enough.  You need groups for running shoes, cricket shoes, golf shoes.  You need to split those groups by brand, colour, maybe even cost, size or other factors.  Only where your Groups are tightly focused can your Ads be tightly focused and your landing pages be precisely what they're looking for and therefore have the greatest relevance to your searching audience.  If I want to buy some New Balance running shoes I want to see an Ad that promotes New Balance Running Shoes and when I click on it I want to see running shoes made by NB.

Approaching a large product range in this detail can lead to a large number of Campaigns or Groups, but that's where you need to look at automation tools to help.  Trying to build a structure primarily to make it easy to manage is very likely to make one with poor performance.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Agreed with Jon here.

[ Edited ]
RKK
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
RKK
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello @Anand KK, you have taken an article from external source and have pasted it here. This is not acceptable according to the community guidelines, please refrain from it. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Anand KK

We have noticed that sections  of your post are copied  from a blog;

http://searchenginewatch.com/sew/how-to/2404049/5-steps-to-plan-your-ppc-account-restructure

Please note that the guidelines of this community require posting only original content. If an external source is quoted, a link to the original content  and credit to the author should be given.

Generally speaking, when quoting,  we prefer content written or endorsed by Google. This we know is credible content.  (At least to a high degree of confidence)

Please remove  your reply.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
RKK
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
RKK
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey he needed help . I guess you guys are active Man Very Happy next week if I get time I will answer , Hope the best answer gets a star. also if you could please help the user with your answer may be it help him. He needs Help.

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Johnny Craig C Sorry for hijacking the original thread. If you still have questions, you can continue with it. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha