AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What is the best campaign structure when using geotargeting?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, hope someone can help. 

I'm restructuring an account for a small local business. They target a number of local areas. They've named two particular areas that are very important (they target around 20 different locations). Of course i'll be using geoloaction as part of the campaign targeting, but have a question on this relating to strucure of the account...

My current planned structure(just an example): 

campaign = product_category, e.g. wood_burning_stoves 

adgroup1 = product_type_location, e.g. wood_burning_stoves_london

adgroup2 = product_type_material, e.g. wood_burning_stoves_cast-iron

adgroup3 = product_type_intent, e.g. wood_burning_stoves_buy

For key geolocation search terms that include the place name, e.g. london, I plan to split into a seperate campaign to be able to manage this at a more granular level. 

Q) Should I (in the same 'London' campaign) also add specific geolocation coordinates targeting the area, or just keep the coordinates as part of the targeting for all other campaigns? 

Any opinion is welcome. 

Thanks 

Chris 

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Shanea K (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: What is the best campaign structure when using geotargeting?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Chris, this is a common problem.  Unfortunately, the smaller the area you're trying to target, the more difficult things become with AdWords.   There are pros and cons to "location keywords".  The Pros, well, "pro" I guess, is that if someone includes "SW1" in their search query you can be pretty sure they're looking for something in Victoria or nearby.  The Cons are that not all - in fact I'd wager not even most - people will use any kind of location keyword so if you insist upon it (by match type) you'll be missing those people.  Also, if you're targeting somewhere like London, where do you stop with the locations?  Just postcodes?  Boroughs?  Nicknames (West End, South Bank, etc.)?  You could end up with a huge list of Keywords, most of which will never get impressions.

The other issues with targeting a small region is that it's very hard to define how big the radius should be and accuracy tends to decrease with smaller areas - especially in the UK where our centralised network system tends to place people in city centres even when they're some way out.  For example, I've seen people target a radius of only 15 miles around their store, but up where I live shops are few and far between so if I need a wood burning stove I'll be prepared to travel much farther.  On the second point, I'm usually shown as being in Leeds (40 miles away) or even Hull (80 miles away!).  So targeting a radius around Hull might show your Ads to me, even if you set a 20 mile radius or, the other way around, targeting your Ads around my town may not show your Ads to me even though I live smack in the middle of the area.

The best solution is going to require testing and experimentation but I've usually found one reasonable method is to make sure any relevant location is included in the Ad and use a wider location target.  That way, if someone sees the store is clearly too far away they should be less likely to click while those who would be prepared to travel farther don't get lost as a customer.   You'll still need some form of location targeting but could, for example, target 50 miles around London.  And, of course, once you gather data and find that no one from Canterbury ever buys a stove, you may be able to exclude that city.

Don't forget travel time as well.  If you live close to the M1, getting to somewhere like St. Albans could take you less time than getting into the SW of London from somewhere like Reigate.  You may want to consider targeting individual "hotspots" along motorways and fast roads.

Whatever structure you plan, the best approach is to make sure you have the ability to track sensible data and the ability to respond to that data.  So don't use too few Campaigns, limiting your ability to respond by location and don't use too many making it difficult to see statistically significant responses.

There, easy, isn't it?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Chris D,

The Way you started is good, if you find good search volume for Product_Type_Location Keywords it is always good to create an ad group as you can mention the same in ad copy it makes your ad relevant and unique at some extent. Make sure your account should not contain no search volume keywords, if it contains it will effect your account performance.

We wish you all the best for your Business.

Thanks,

Octos Team

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jon, thanks so much for the reply - some great advice. What I'm taking from this is the use of location settings is not an exact science. I'll be paying close attention to the data that comes through. Chris

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Chris,

You may find this case study from PPC Professionals helpful with your account structure questions.  

PPC Professionals explains the benefits of proper Adwords account structure in a case study featuring an e-commerce website using real examples and exemplifying their positive results. Find out how to reduce AdWords CPA by over 60% with Strategic Segmentation.

http://goo.gl/D09kpO