Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What is my best AdWords strategy?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

I'm relatively new to all this so I'm just after some guidance from people on here that know this better than myself! 

I own a locksmith business and my main aim is to generate as many calls as possible for my call only ad. My ad is purely set up just for emergency work only.

What bidding strategy would be best suited for my needs? It's extremely competitive in my trade with google adwords.

Thanks in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Damien G
November 2016

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Just my opinion, but it is based on quite a bit of experience:  I believe you would be making a mistake by relying exclusively on call-only ads. You are charged when they are clicked, but then they have to take another step to complete the call.  So it is not guaranteed that clicks=calls.  The bigger issue with them is, typically they result in a lot of wrong numbers because people aren't that accustomed to the format on mobile devices. 

I would spent at least 70% of your adspend on a search campaign with extended text format ads. I have seen that work out well for locksmiths, in a search campaign properly geo-targeted with the right keywords. 

Many businesses "just want a lot of calls" (leads) but that does not mean there is some magic shortcut to get that from a campaign.  All of the methods of setting up and optimizing a campaign are still required.  Locally geo-targeted campaigns have challenges of their own.

Also, just a hunch but FOR SURE use the new "Messaging extension" so people can reach you via text message.

hth

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Damien G
November 2016

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Just my opinion, but it is based on quite a bit of experience:  I believe you would be making a mistake by relying exclusively on call-only ads. You are charged when they are clicked, but then they have to take another step to complete the call.  So it is not guaranteed that clicks=calls.  The bigger issue with them is, typically they result in a lot of wrong numbers because people aren't that accustomed to the format on mobile devices. 

I would spent at least 70% of your adspend on a search campaign with extended text format ads. I have seen that work out well for locksmiths, in a search campaign properly geo-targeted with the right keywords. 

Many businesses "just want a lot of calls" (leads) but that does not mean there is some magic shortcut to get that from a campaign.  All of the methods of setting up and optimizing a campaign are still required.  Locally geo-targeted campaigns have challenges of their own.

Also, just a hunch but FOR SURE use the new "Messaging extension" so people can reach you via text message.

hth

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. I have been on AdWords for about 6 months and I must say my call only ad provides me with about 90% of emergency calls(other 10% are just general enquiries/tyre kickers) so I would say the add is doing itself justice in that respect. I sure am chewing through some expenditure hence why I thought I'd pose the question on here, to try and have my call only ad a little more cost friendly. 

Unfirtunately my website is not completely up and running as I only have a landing page, so at this stage it is not worth my while to direct leads to my landing page. 

I was was unaware about the text messaging. I might look into that. 

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

That's great it sounds like call-only may be working better for you. 

To use the messaging extension you would need to run a regular search ad, e.g. an extended text ad.  What I would do is run a small, separate campaign for that to determine the budget efficiency vs your call-only campaign. 

A single landing page, if well done, for a search campaign could work fine for a locksmith campaign - maybe better than a full-blown website. All you really need is a clear value proposition, some social proof, evidence of physical locality, and a contact form. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Would you recommend manual CPC, enhanced CPC or maximise clicks for my campaign?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

You need a conversion history for enhanced CPC to be smart enough.  If you've been tracking all conversions, and have at least 30 conversions (100 would be a lot better), then enhanced CPC may be able to improve your performance.  

It's not the clicks you are trying to maximize, it's the *conversions*.  Even in call-only, a click does not necessarily mean a conversion.