Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What is a good click through rate (CTR) for the Google Display Network

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I am getting a very good CTR fo search network. However; the display network CTR is very low. How to improve the CTR for display network and what rate can be considered as a good click through rate (CTR) for the Google Display Network?

Regards,

Gokuldas K

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Jon_Gritton (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: What is a good click through rate (CTR) for the Google Display Net

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

This practically impossible to answer as "good CTR" will depend on several points like targeting, industry, placements, keywords, etc. 

You can try following points to improve your CTR on display network thought

• If you are running keyword based campaign on display try to find out which domains are giving you better CTR and add them in managed placements
  • keep in mind on display all keywords are broad match so you need to make sure that you have negative keywords to make sure that you get relevant impressions
  • Try checking Relative CTR metrics for your placements

Hope this is good enough for you to get started

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gokuldas K
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

HI gokuldas,

Welcome to the forum

Generally Display Network has low CTR than Search Network. Basically there is no specific percentage of good CTR on the dispaly but CTR more 1% can be considered as good.If your are running your ads on display network than you have to focus on your ROI rather than CTR.

Thanks,

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I get a 0.1% CTR for the same ads that I get 5% on Search. But volumes are much higher on Network and in my case I get more conversions from Network than Search.

Hope this helps

From the south of the World, Buenos Aires, Argentina Smiley Happy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

The measure of "good", "poor" or "great" CTR is your Quality Score (QS). That applies to the search network. For the display network, there is Relative CTR, which is mostly what QS is in the search network, a relative measure of your CTR compared to others. You want Relative CTR above 1.0

Search and display networks are very different. You can't compare the two.

In search, obviously people are searching for something. It is an active event and thus the searchers are more receptive and your CTR compared to the display network will be higher. In advertising, they call this "pushing" you towards the advertiser's goal.

For the display network, it's more like TV and newspaper ads. Those seeing your ads are much less likely to be interested or looking for your product. It's called "pulling": you are trying to pull the viewer to your goal. It's also called "interrupt" advertising. Since your product is not usually in their minds at the time, the CTR is much lower. Since it's different, push vs pull, ads should be different to do this pushing or pulling.

Think how many times for example you see an ad on TV and immediately contact the business. It rarely happens. But when you are looking and need a product or service, you may check the Yellow Pages and chances are you will contact one or more businesses. The CTR is higher because there's an immediate need. Same idea for PPC.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Shuva

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Juanintera

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Lucid,

thank you for your reply..Could you please explain more about relative CTR and how is it calculated.

On the other hand I am not agreeing with the PULL and PUSH marketing described above. If I am right Search network is PULL marketing and display network is a kind of PUSH marketing..Not completely.

Regards,
Gokuldas K

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Only Google knows how exactly they calculate these things. To put it in simple terms, it's your CTR compared to that of the average. So if the average is 2% and your CTR is 2.2%, your relative CTR will be 1.1 (2.2 / 2.0) which means your CTR is 10% higher. There may be other variables like the QS calculation but that's the principle of it.

Yeah, I get push/pull mixed up (I think). Search would be pull and display push. The point is, it's a different way of marketing.

Re: What is a good click through rate (CTR) for the Google Display Network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
im learms so much for the humanatics here ok im so inprove these network for home base