1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What is a good bounce rate?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google has told me that for CTR, around 1% is good.  What about bounce rate? 

For my ecommerce site, it's natural to visit multiple pages (beyond the landing page), so this should be a pretty helpful metric for the quality of visitors/AdWords referrals.

Thanks,

Tyler

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tyler S
September 2015

Re: What is a good bounce rate?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

For an e-commerce site as you hqve mentioned I would expect q bounce rate of around 50÷ from search traffic (not display ) to be a good percentage on the desktop+tablet segment . If more than 70÷ of the visitors of your e commerce site come from adwords and leave without looking at various products , you must fix the landing pages or check if your traffic is mostly from mobiles from which if more difficult to buy.

I have my doubts that you are tracking phone leads from AdWords to measure exactly conversions from bounced visitors, for this type of website.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Tyler,

Bounce rate is pretty subjective. It depends on what you want visitors to do once they land on your page. If you have a phone number as your main CTA on the landing page, then your bounce rate will probably appear high because people will call and leave. In this example, that's okay because that's what you want them to do!

I mostly pay attention to bounce rate in conjunction with time on site. If people are landing and then bouncing within 0-45s, something probably isn't right. Even 45s is pretty low but if the visitor is just dialing a number, 45s could be long enough for them to do so. Again, it depends on what your conversion path looks like.

As far as CTR goes, it depends on your targeting and and vertical. I would say that 1% is fairly low as an average but then, I don't know what industry you are in or what targeting methods you are using.

hope this helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Amy, if 1% is fairly low what would you hope to see from a successful campaign?

Thanks

Hannah

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Hannah,

Good question. It really depends on the vertical and the campaign. Brand campaigns should have a pretty high CTR. Double digits aren't uncommon. For nonbrand Search CTR, typically 2.5%-6% seems like a fairly typical range. I can't stress enough, though, that this really depends upon the vertical.

Best,
Amy

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tyler,

As you can see from Amy's replies, CTRs and bounce rates are subjective and will vary by industry and are influenced by keywords, ads and landing pages (for bounce rates).

In general you do of course want as a low of a bounce rate as possible, but I think a better way to approach this is to analyze the data to see if you can lower the bounce rate. Can you improve the landing page content? Can you improve the call to action? Broken links? Are you getting bounces because of the keyword and ad are misleading, or simply too vague? Would negative keywords help reduce irrelevant traffic, and therefor lower the bounce rate?

The way to approach it is to ask, "What can I do to improve the bounce rate?" You want your account to be as good as possible and you want to do better than the competition too.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey George,

I would actually tend to disagree with you, there. I agree with the principle of focusing on improving landing pages but I would actually tend to say not to worry too much about bounce rate at all. Instead focus on improving your landing pages in a way that improves leads. Like I mentioned above, if your main KPI is a phone call, your bounce rate could be pretty high. There are steps you could take to bring down your bounce rate but it could hurt your conversion rate. Instead, I would suggest to focus on conversion rate when optimizing your landing pages. As long as your CVR and lead volume is increasing, bounce rate doesn't matter.

Bounce rate is better for diagnosing traffic issues. If you see a channel coming in with poor lead quality and high bounce rates, there could be something wrong. Bounce rate shouldn't be a standalone KPI.

Just my two cents!

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Amy,

I think you nailed it on the head. The bounce rate is indeed an indicator that needs context for interpretation. I do not disagree.

I will stand by my answer in the context of the original question.

However, I agree with you in that in the broader context of managing an account, understanding the user journey from the initial search down to the landing page and beyond that the bounce rate is only one of many indicators to look at to aid in improving conversion rates.

So perhaps an even better question to ask than a specific metric focused of "What can I do to improve the bounce rate?" is a more journey focused one, "How can I improve the number of conversions" or "How can I increase revenue?" which then will take into account many metrics with a context of improving conversions and/or revenue.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tyler S
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

For an e-commerce site as you hqve mentioned I would expect q bounce rate of around 50÷ from search traffic (not display ) to be a good percentage on the desktop+tablet segment . If more than 70÷ of the visitors of your e commerce site come from adwords and leave without looking at various products , you must fix the landing pages or check if your traffic is mostly from mobiles from which if more difficult to buy.

I have my doubts that you are tracking phone leads from AdWords to measure exactly conversions from bounced visitors, for this type of website.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Definitely agree, George. We are on the same page.

Adrian, a lot of ecomms don't use call tracking but a lot of them do, especially for high-end products. I'm working with an ecomm currently that receives nearly 2x as many calls as online transactions and the value of calls is very high. It all just depends on the business.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes but I would expect a normal user to do some "on site comparison" before even calling.

My experience is very limited so I can't say that I have seen an e-commerce website where most orders are from calls not online transactions.