1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What is Other Search Term in keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was trying to check the search terms in keyword section in my campaign. While checking i find this line "other search term" at the bottom of keywords list above total.

Refer Image

other search term.png

Now out of 1.5 k search terms i found 1.2k in other search terms

My question is -

- where can i find this "other search terms" keywords

- it effects my spending as i am not aware on what keyword i am spend

- impressions are higher so effecting my CTR as well

- If i want to put these other search terms keywords in negative or optimize for my campaign where can i find the list ?

Regards

Sonya

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: What is Other Search Term in keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Sonya,

If you look at the small question mark in front of Other Search Terms, you will find that there is a criteria based on which the Search Terms are shown in the report and the terms which doesn't qualify are listed as Other Search Terms. See this screenshot from the Help center article:-

Search.png

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Sonya, this is not a bug, it is a deliberate aggregation of data that cannot be safely or logically split.  Further to the reasons given by Pankaj, this search term data can sometimes include personally identifiable data and other reasons why they cannot be displayed to the advertiser.

If you're seeing a very large percentage of search details going to "other", that can be caused by having Keywords that are very broad - usually the "simple" Broad match type.  Making good use of the more restrictive match types can improve the ratio of other to provided search details.  Most of my [exact] match Keywords, for example, show zero "other" in the details report, which is to be expected.

Do also note that all clicks received in the last 24 hours will be shown as "other", so make sure you're selecting a period that ends at least a day before today (I'd usually recommend 2 days).

I'll say again, this is not a bug, it's how this report works, and how it's worked for a very long time.  If you are concerned with knowing what terms are causing clicks, the answer is to use tighter match types, increase the focus of your Ad Groups and use a sufficiently thorough list of negative Keywords such that you can predict the search terms that will match.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Sonya,

If you look at the small question mark in front of Other Search Terms, you will find that there is a criteria based on which the Search Terms are shown in the report and the terms which doesn't qualify are listed as Other Search Terms. See this screenshot from the Help center article:-

Search.png

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

"Any search terms that did not meet this criteria will be summed up in the other search terms" now.

I know this answer from the question mark which i already see.
but again i have the same question where can i find these search terms.

Suppose some day i see i am spending 80% out of 100% budget in Other search term then to whom i can ask where did i spend this amount on what keywords ?

Should i believe its a bug or what ?

I last month search report shows that i had spend $25 in other search terms. but i have no idea where this amount got spend.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

That's not actually a bug, that's the system how reporting is generated and presented in front of the advertisers. And if any of the terms doesn't fall in that category, those are not showed in the reports. Tha'ts how I understand this report.

Try comparing your Search Terms report with Google Analytics report as well. For that go to Acquisition>>AdWords>>Matched Search Queries. This is applicable if you have already linked your AdWords account with Analytics.

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
"that's the system how reporting is generated and presented in front of the advertisers"

Agree with you,

but that is not a solution as advertisers will never know where the spend goes ?

That is why i said is it a bug, obviously by the system or what ?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Sonya, this is not a bug, it is a deliberate aggregation of data that cannot be safely or logically split.  Further to the reasons given by Pankaj, this search term data can sometimes include personally identifiable data and other reasons why they cannot be displayed to the advertiser.

If you're seeing a very large percentage of search details going to "other", that can be caused by having Keywords that are very broad - usually the "simple" Broad match type.  Making good use of the more restrictive match types can improve the ratio of other to provided search details.  Most of my [exact] match Keywords, for example, show zero "other" in the details report, which is to be expected.

Do also note that all clicks received in the last 24 hours will be shown as "other", so make sure you're selecting a period that ends at least a day before today (I'd usually recommend 2 days).

I'll say again, this is not a bug, it's how this report works, and how it's worked for a very long time.  If you are concerned with knowing what terms are causing clicks, the answer is to use tighter match types, increase the focus of your Ad Groups and use a sufficiently thorough list of negative Keywords such that you can predict the search terms that will match.

Jon

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sonya I

It is simple. Start looking in your Google analytics account under the Matched Search Queries report.

In there all search terms are reported, none is hidden if it is a paid search click. You can add a "secondary dimension" = keyword to get a better insight.

Here is the info :

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2491146?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

@Adrian, the Analytics Match Search Query report does not show Other search terms search queries.  Such queries are shown in the Analytics report as [not set].  See here:

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2820717

under the Matched Search Query heading.

"In the AdWords search-terms report, all terms classified as "(other search terms)" will be reported as (not set)."

Jon

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon,

Thank you for teaching me this.

However I think it is just another case when Google says one thing and does another in practice.

Here is the statistics from a campaign I have for the time-frame 1-3 June 2014 (because the search terms from today and yesterday are excluded).

In the search terms reports it says 365 clicks from which 13 are "other search terms". So I should be seeing in analytics around 13 sessions with (not set) for this campaign right ?

In analytics I added a "secondary dimension"=campaign and ordered ascendingly the first column so that (not set) values appear first . Conclusion : (not set) is highlighted only in a remarketing campaign for display which makes sense. There is no (not set) for the Search campaign.

Google analytics shows me 370 sessions .

If I subtract 5 which are (not set) from the remarketing campaign I get 365 sessions without (not set) for the search campaign. There are no 13 sessions with (not set) In the matched search queries report , for the search campaign.

How do you explain that the 13 clicks from other search terms did not appear not even as not set in the Matched Search queries report ?

not-set-analytics-only-remarketing.png

search-terms-report.png