AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What if I got negative keyword both in keyword list & in negative list?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Let's say I want to add "FREE" as a negative keyword in my campaign but suppose if the keyword FREE is also in the keyword alongwith some other keyword through which people are clicking on my ads & visiting my site.

Will google display my ads or not for that keyword? If yes, then how do I stop it?

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author hyderali
September 2015

Re: What if I got negative keyword both in keyword list & in negative list?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Hyderali,

Here it depends in what match type you are adding negative keyword:

If you will add in negative broad match, it will block your query. And you see notification when house over mouse to keyword status "negative keyword blocking your ads to show".

If you will add as Negative phrase such as :  Free coupon then it will not show of any term that inlcudes free coupon in exactly same order.

If you will add as Negative exact such as [free coupon] then it will not show when exactly free coupon will be entered as a search query.

Now if you want to show for some free keywords and want to block as well. I would advice you to have free related keywords in seperate adgroup and add adgroup level negative keywords.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author hyderali
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Hyderali,

Here it depends in what match type you are adding negative keyword:

If you will add in negative broad match, it will block your query. And you see notification when house over mouse to keyword status "negative keyword blocking your ads to show".

If you will add as Negative phrase such as :  Free coupon then it will not show of any term that inlcudes free coupon in exactly same order.

If you will add as Negative exact such as [free coupon] then it will not show when exactly free coupon will be entered as a search query.

Now if you want to show for some free keywords and want to block as well. I would advice you to have free related keywords in seperate adgroup and add adgroup level negative keywords.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Neha,

No, we are not providing anything for free. I just added FREE as a broad match at the campaign level.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Hyderali,

You can pause/delete free related positive keywords considering the stats & add free as negative at campaign level.

Thanks
Neha

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Hyderali,

If you doubt any of your negative keywords possible blocking your desired queries, you could always go to keyword tab "More Action" and Run a keyword Diagnosis. It will quickly tell you if any negative keyword is blocking your positive ones.

Thanks,

Vivek