AdWords
5.8K members online now
5.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What happens if my maximum bid or CPC is lower than the suggested bid listed in the keyword planner?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello,

I am doing some keyword research using the Google Keyword Planner, and I see that a suggested bid for one of my keywords is $20. If I include that keyword in my ad campaign, but I set my maximum bid/cpc for that particular keyword to something less than the suggested bid of $20 (e.g. $5), what will be the impact? Will my ad not show? Or will it show, but rather infrequently? Just wondering what the impact is when my bid is lower than the suggested bid listed in the keyword planner.

Anyone have any insight? Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
April

What happens if my maximum bid or CPC is lower than the suggested bid listed in the keyword planner?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for reaching out.

Your suggested bid is calculated by taking into account the costs-per-click (CPCs) that advertisers are paying for this keyword for the location and Search Network settings you've selected. The amount is only a forecast, and your actual cost-per-click may vary.

And since Ad Rank is calculated using your bid amount, the components of Quality Score (expected clickthrough rate, ad relevance, and landing page experience), and the expected impact of extensions and other ad formats, lower bids don't necessarily prevent your ad from showing.

Your Ad Rank is recalculated each time your ad is eligible to appear and competes in an auction, so your ad position can fluctuate each time depending on your competition at that moment.

And since Ad Rank is a formula, a strong quality score can balance out the bid and help you win auctions.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Those are system recommended and tke it a suggestion or idea to set your max cpc. In most of cases they were higher than actual cpc. 

Re: What happens if my maximum bid or CPC is lower than the suggested bid listed in the keyword plan

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. Your answer is very helpful.

Re: Is the max CPC cost which I set up --the same as the suggested price for the keyword I choose?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a very similar question, to Andrew's I wonder if someone can explain

is the max CPC cost which I set up --the same as the suggested price for the keyword I choose?

so practically I want to simply know, whats the difference between the CPC cost of a keyword and the suggested bid price of a keyword in that column,

so for example ....if I set my CPC cost for $1.00 (just an example) and a daily budget of $15 and the key word I choose costs $15, how does that work and how do I integrate that keyword's cost in my daily budget amount?

I have totally forgotten, if you can clarify this I appreciate it, thank you,

I also wonder if somebody knows the answer to this

why the new current planner does not show me any price (suggested bid)  for all the keywords that show up, each time I do a search for a specific keyword---, it shows only  the price bid for one single keyword, the other keywords do not have any bid prices---in the older one, it used to show me the price  (suggested bid) for each singe keyword in that column, where can I find this info in the new and current keyword planner? thank you

and I apologize for not being familiar at all with this

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation. It's always best to start your own thread versus making comments to random threads, even if your issue seems related.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic. Making your new thread is fast, easy and allows more specific help directly to you (and not all of the other members in the old thread).

Thank you.