AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5K members online now
5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What happens if an existing KW is re-uploaded?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

What happens if I happen to re-upload keywords (that i've paused or deleted, for performance reasons) in the future?

Will they get re-enabled and/or  get "reset"?

Is there a way to upload and have adwords "ignore"  the ones that are already paused/deleted if I'm regularly uploading a large KW set every week? (around 100k+ kw's)

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What happens if an existing KW is re-uploaded?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@taewoo

If it's paused I believe it's automatically ignored.  If it's a deleted keyword, then it should be added again. I'm not certain if there is away to filter against already deleted keywords.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Taewoo,

Editor will highlight such variations of KW when you add them in - you could then select them based on the alert messaging and not upload them. I'm not sure about how the UI will react as I generally don't practice uploading keywords more than once, I tend to focus on just additions.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@taewoo;

I recall reading the following:

>>The most significant part of the change is that keywords without traffic will now, by default, receive a score of 6, and Average for the three components of Quality Score. Once keywords gather enough impressions, scores will update about a day or so later.

https://plus.google.com/+GoogleAds/posts/aw9kTjzGLcz

My understanding of that is that if you add a KW without past history to new or existing  ad group  it will be defaulted to 6. I also find a "hint" to that in the help center:

>>"So if you restructure your account, such as moving keywords to a new ad group, your Ad Rank and ad quality won’t change, even though the new ad group’s keywords might all initially have a Quality Score of 6."

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Taewoo,

Here are my 2 cents.

If you try to re-upload an existing set of keywords to your account, there are 2 scenarios that we need to consider.

1. You are uploading the same keywords to the same set of adgroups and campaigns, in which case, the existing keywords will remain unaffected. This is obviously basis the assumption that the keywords are of the same matchtype and they are the exact same keywords.

2. If you are uploading keywords to a different campaign/adgroup. In this case, neither the interface nor the editor will prompt you regarding the duplicate keywords, at least not until you actively seek them out. Here, you need to use the "Find Duplicates" option in Editor when uploading/re-uploading keywords and it will highlight all the existing duplicates in the account. This will help you understand the status of the old and the new duplicate keywords (if any).

Lastly, as PPCBossman suggested, it is not a good practice to re-upload keywords time and again. If you feel there is a need for you to do over a period of time then I suggest you look at your structure first, group your keywords into relevant adgroups (as much as possible). Doing this will allow you to Pause/activate group of keywords as per your will.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"