AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What are wildcard characters to exclude/ remove (*.ru, *.it, *.co.kr, *.co.uk, etc. from placements?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

My campaign is targeting 10 states on the display network. Group A is managed placements, higher cpc/cpm. Group B is auto placements with Keyword | Age | Gener demographic filters, etc.

The product is marketed to Dentist, and displaying on specific dental precedure and equipment related content.

I noticed clicks (approx 3%) from undesireable domains ending in .ru, .co.uk, .co.kr, .it etc.

Obviously, these domains do not cater to my core demographic in the United States.

I moved said urls to Exclusions

Account > Campaign > AdGroup > Display Network > Placements > Automatic Placements > Exclusions > Adgroup Level (|) Campaign Level > 

when I input wildcard i get the folling error each time

Placement URLs must be provided in a valid URL format.

How do exclude undesireibale extensions .ru, .co.uk, .co.kr, etc. on my exclusios listr for auto placements in campaign Exclusions?

Thanks

Some bad placements

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What are wildcard characters to exclude/ remove (*.ru, *.it, *.co.kr, *.co.uk, etc. from placeme

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Maxroizer

We discussed that yesterday; following another question of yours ;

No wildcard (e.g asterisk ) on Adwords.... You'll have to exclude "manually"

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: What are wildcard characters to exclude/ remove (*.ru, *.it, *.co.kr, *.co.uk, etc. from placeme

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Maxroizer,

Geo-targeting is based on the user's location, not the location of the web site. I took a look at http://todayhumor.co.kr/. It looks like it's Korean. Are you targeting English language? If not, maybe you should. That would stop showing your ads on sites in a different language.

Oh, you said 10 states. I figured that was in US. Am I wrong about that?

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Moshe, 

I didn't read your reply to my previous post until now. I hope AW introduces some sort of {string}/wildcard keyword or placement feature in the future.

Max

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pete,

You hit the nail with this one. The campaign was configured with "All Languages", I shouldn't have overlooked that.

According to dimensions 100% impressions and visitor clicks originated in the united states, and >95% of impressions originated in the Targeted states.

In anycase, I find it interesting that many of those domains triggered impressions at those other domains, considering my other display targeting options.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Max,

Looks to me like your targeting is doing pretty much what you want it to do. The 5% clicks from outside your taget states is probably due to including "search intent" in your geo-targeting settings.

That's also likely for the impressions you were getting on other language web sites. It's not all that unusual for US based folks to use web sites in a different language. Remember, it is based on the user's location, most often at the time of the query, not the web site.

Glad I could help. Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords