AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What are wildcard characters to exclude/ remove (*.ru, *.it, *.co.kr, *.co.uk, etc. from placements?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

My campaign is targeting 10 states on the display network. Group A is managed placements, higher cpc/cpm. Group B is auto placements with Keyword | Age | Gener demographic filters, etc.

The product is marketed to Dentist, and displaying on specific dental precedure and equipment related content.

I noticed clicks (approx 3%) from undesireable domains ending in .ru, .co.uk, .co.kr, .it etc.

Obviously, these domains do not cater to my core demographic in the United States.

I moved said urls to Exclusions

Account > Campaign > AdGroup > Display Network > Placements > Automatic Placements > Exclusions > Adgroup Level (|) Campaign Level > 

when I input wildcard i get the folling error each time

Placement URLs must be provided in a valid URL format.

How do exclude undesireibale extensions .ru, .co.uk, .co.kr, etc. on my exclusios listr for auto placements in campaign Exclusions?

Thanks

Some bad placements

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What are wildcard characters to exclude/ remove (*.ru, *.it, *.co.kr, *.co.uk, etc. from placeme

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Maxroizer

We discussed that yesterday; following another question of yours ;

No wildcard (e.g asterisk ) on Adwords.... You'll have to exclude "manually"

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: What are wildcard characters to exclude/ remove (*.ru, *.it, *.co.kr, *.co.uk, etc. from placeme

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Maxroizer,

Geo-targeting is based on the user's location, not the location of the web site. I took a look at http://todayhumor.co.kr/. It looks like it's Korean. Are you targeting English language? If not, maybe you should. That would stop showing your ads on sites in a different language.

Oh, you said 10 states. I figured that was in US. Am I wrong about that?

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Moshe, 

I didn't read your reply to my previous post until now. I hope AW introduces some sort of {string}/wildcard keyword or placement feature in the future.

Max

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pete,

You hit the nail with this one. The campaign was configured with "All Languages", I shouldn't have overlooked that.

According to dimensions 100% impressions and visitor clicks originated in the united states, and >95% of impressions originated in the Targeted states.

In anycase, I find it interesting that many of those domains triggered impressions at those other domains, considering my other display targeting options.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Max,

Looks to me like your targeting is doing pretty much what you want it to do. The 5% clicks from outside your taget states is probably due to including "search intent" in your geo-targeting settings.

That's also likely for the impressions you were getting on other language web sites. It's not all that unusual for US based folks to use web sites in a different language. Remember, it is based on the user's location, most often at the time of the query, not the web site.

Glad I could help. Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords