AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What are the main components in Quality Score?

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

What are the key players in quality score?

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Tiffany (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Quality Score

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

How Quality Score is calculated (roughly speaking):

Quality Score (QS) is based on a great many signals, but in terms of the key players, here is a breakdown:

Average performance across all accounts.

We look at the average CTR (Click Through Rate) of the keyword in question across all accounts. CTR is used to determine the "relevance" that you see in the Ads Diagnostic Tool. 

Why? The logic is that if people have clicked ads for this keyword, they must find it relevant, otherwise they wouldn't have clicked. If a Keyword has a bad overall CTR, it will be hard for the client to get a good QS number unless they have extremely good individual performance. Read on for more about that.

The specific account performance.

Next step is we compare the account performance to the average performance. If the account performs no better than average, then it stands to reason that the QS will remain the same. If it begins to perform ahead of the grade curve, then the Quality Score can rise. Remember, I'm talking about CTR when I talk about performance.

On the subject of account performance, Quality Score is like a web. The individual performance of every element of an account will affect every other element. Ad texts, keywords, ad groups, campaigns and domains all affect each other. The longer there is bad performance of any of those elements, the more negatively affected an account can become. Basically, bad performance "metastasizes" across accounts over time. That's why we say to delete badly performing KWs.

Sometimes, opening a new account can help if an account was just really badly built for a long time. However, remember that we store information about domain level performance, so if a domain does badly for a long time, all new accounts will be subject to that remembered history. One other point is that keywords and ad texts build up a performance history over time. If you alter an ad text, the system actually creates a new one, so that "QS pairing" is broken, and a little of the Quality Score will be reset. .

Match type.

We only use the exact match data on Google Search to determine the QS for keywords. So, any clicks that happen on phrase or broad match do not factor in. This doesn't mean that phrase or broad match keywords can never have a good performance history, just that if you have the broad match keywords 'red shoes' only when that keywords matches exactly to the search query 'red shoes' will the click be used to help determine Quality Score. However, the keyword is still perfectly eligible to show on all the expansions anyway. You can see the exact match performance data of all KWs in an account by going to the KWs tab, and pressing "Segment" > "See search terms match type". Try it out!

Network.

We only use exact match performance history accrued on Google Search itself. That is, Google.com/de/fr/co.uk etc etc. The Quality Scores for search partners and display network placements are calculated separately and individually for each and every search partner and display network placement. Therefore, it's possible to have amazing performance history on the search partner network without it positively affecting your QS on Google Search. Remember that the Ads Diagnostic Tool will ONLY show you the QS on Google Search.

Quantity of Performance Data.

It's common for advertisers to write in and say, "I have a CTR of 33% on my keyword! Why do I have a QS of 4?". Then, when you look at the keyword, you see that that 33% is over 10 impressions. You should always remember that we need a statistically significant set of data to calculate Quality Score. Keep in mind we can't define that "statistically significant set of data" in terms of absolute numbers.

Additionally, this article is a great reference for reducing duplication and the rationale for doing so: Too much of a good thing: Dealing with Duplicate Keywords.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

By improving the following factors you can help improve your Quality Score:

• Your keyword's expected clickthrough rate (CTR): The expected CTR is based in part on the keyword's past CTR, or how often that keyword led to clicks on your ad
  • Your display URL's past CTR: How often you received clicks with your display URL
  • Your account history: The overall CTR of all the ads and keywords in your account
  • The quality of your landing page: How relevant, transparent, and easy-to-navigate your page is
  • Your keyword/ad relevance: How relevant your keyword is to your ads
  • Your keyword/search relevance: How relevant your keyword is to what a customer searches for
  • Geographic performance: How successful your account has been in the regions you're targeting
  • Your ad's performance on a site: How well your ad's been doing on this and similar sites (if you're targeting the Display Network)
  • Your targeted devices: How well your ads have been performing on different types of devices, like desktops/laptops, mobile devices, and tablets – you get different Quality Scores for different types of devices

Courtesy: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en&ref_topic=3122882

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
My keyword [récupérer fichier supprimés corbeille] has 44.49% CTR still the quality score for this keyword is just 6. Why it is not 8 or 9?

Regards
Ramakant

Re: What are the main components in Quality Score?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
"We only use the exact match data on Google Search to determine the QS for keywords."

Is this still te case?

I would expect Google to also look at Impressions generated by other matching search terms. Somehow that makes more sense to me...?

thanks!

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
Hi Nils,

Yes this is still the case. We only use the exact match data on Google Search to determine the Quality Score for keywords.

Kathleen

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
thanks, this begs another question:

How is the QS for a MBM keyword in SKAG with EM Negative calculated?
(questions asked here:
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/How-is-the-QS-for-a-MBM-keyword-in-...
)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry for commenting on such an old post but I'm curious about this comment:

"It's common for advertisers to write in and say, 'I have a CTR of 33% on my keyword! Why do I have a QS of 4?'. Then, when you look at the keyword, you see that that 33% is over 10 impressions. You should always remember that we need a statistically significant set of data to calculate Quality Score."

If you need a statistically significant set of data to calculate a Quality Score, then how are you calculating a "QS of 4" without it? From the overall performance of the keyword across all accounts?

What are the main components in Quality Score?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I need a write up on QS for Pest Control and Termite Control