AdWords
6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What are the best Practices to optimize the Dynamic RM Campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Everyone,

Can anyone shed light on this?

What are the best ways or Practices to optimize the Dynamic Remarketing Campaign?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Maxime Test (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: What are the best Practices to optimize the Dynamic RM Campaign?

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

I've helped clients run over 100 dynamic remarketing campaigns, here are some of the best practices I use. Generally, remarketing is a targeting technique that is already pretty narrow since you only retarget users who came to your site (not any user on the Google Display Network), so you should try not to narrow it down further in your setup. Optimization is often a balancing act between performance and volume. It's easy to get great performance with a very low volume, but what you want is both. So here we go:

1) Make sure the product ids you pass to your tag via the ecomm_prodid parameter (or equivalent parameters for non-retail) match the ones provided in your feed as much as possible (it doesn't have to be 100% perfect though). That is probably the most important factor for a successful dynamic remarketing campaign. Use Google Tag Assistant to verify that they match, but also look under Shared Library > Audiences > View Tag details

2) Don't use language or country targeting in your campaign settings. Remember that you're already targeting users who visited your site, that is qualifying enough, you don't need to narrow down further

3) Keep the default system lists for targeting. While you can use custom remarketing lists and segment further, it's generally not recommended and can be counter-productive, especially in conjunction with Conversion Optimizer.

4) For bidding, once you've reached the necessary conversion threshold, use Conversion Optimizer's target CPA or target ROAS or at least enhanced CPC. These auto-bidding algorithms are heavily optimized for remarketing. They take into account factors such as recency and optimize bids in real-time for every single impression leading to significantly better performance. If your AdWords conversion tracking tag is properly setup and passes dynamic conversion values, I'd recommend using target ROAS, that's really the most sophisticated way of bidding. See these great best practices for automated bidding

5) Don't use frequency capping, remarketing works best when users can be reached as soon and as often as possible after their visit. While advertisers are rightly concerned about user experience, AdWords is optimized for that as well and tries to show impressions when they're the most likely to be effective.

6) Use all ad formats (HTML5, Flash, text) and sizes to maximize your reach. The more opportunity you give AdWords to reach users on the Google Display Network, the better. For example, if you don't have HTML5 ads you won't be able to reach users who use tablets or smartphones. If you don't have dynamic text ads, you won't be eligible to appear in a lot of ad slots which only accept text ads.

7) Don't combine remarketing with other targeting techniques (e.g. remarketing + keyword contextual or remarketing + negative placement targeting, etc...). Let Conversion Optimizer take care of all of this automatically at scale. I've seen a lot of advertisers spend a huge amount of time manually trying to optimize for little, if any, return. Remarketing is a much stronger signal than any other display targeting option anyways, it's about who is seeing the ad not really about where the ad appears.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Angel,

Here's a thread on the same topic with really helpful insights from several experts, give it a read.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Performance-Optimization/Dynamic-Remarketing-Campaigns-Optim...

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Maxime Test (Google Employee)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

I've helped clients run over 100 dynamic remarketing campaigns, here are some of the best practices I use. Generally, remarketing is a targeting technique that is already pretty narrow since you only retarget users who came to your site (not any user on the Google Display Network), so you should try not to narrow it down further in your setup. Optimization is often a balancing act between performance and volume. It's easy to get great performance with a very low volume, but what you want is both. So here we go:

1) Make sure the product ids you pass to your tag via the ecomm_prodid parameter (or equivalent parameters for non-retail) match the ones provided in your feed as much as possible (it doesn't have to be 100% perfect though). That is probably the most important factor for a successful dynamic remarketing campaign. Use Google Tag Assistant to verify that they match, but also look under Shared Library > Audiences > View Tag details

2) Don't use language or country targeting in your campaign settings. Remember that you're already targeting users who visited your site, that is qualifying enough, you don't need to narrow down further

3) Keep the default system lists for targeting. While you can use custom remarketing lists and segment further, it's generally not recommended and can be counter-productive, especially in conjunction with Conversion Optimizer.

4) For bidding, once you've reached the necessary conversion threshold, use Conversion Optimizer's target CPA or target ROAS or at least enhanced CPC. These auto-bidding algorithms are heavily optimized for remarketing. They take into account factors such as recency and optimize bids in real-time for every single impression leading to significantly better performance. If your AdWords conversion tracking tag is properly setup and passes dynamic conversion values, I'd recommend using target ROAS, that's really the most sophisticated way of bidding. See these great best practices for automated bidding

5) Don't use frequency capping, remarketing works best when users can be reached as soon and as often as possible after their visit. While advertisers are rightly concerned about user experience, AdWords is optimized for that as well and tries to show impressions when they're the most likely to be effective.

6) Use all ad formats (HTML5, Flash, text) and sizes to maximize your reach. The more opportunity you give AdWords to reach users on the Google Display Network, the better. For example, if you don't have HTML5 ads you won't be able to reach users who use tablets or smartphones. If you don't have dynamic text ads, you won't be eligible to appear in a lot of ad slots which only accept text ads.

7) Don't combine remarketing with other targeting techniques (e.g. remarketing + keyword contextual or remarketing + negative placement targeting, etc...). Let Conversion Optimizer take care of all of this automatically at scale. I've seen a lot of advertisers spend a huge amount of time manually trying to optimize for little, if any, return. Remarketing is a much stronger signal than any other display targeting option anyways, it's about who is seeing the ad not really about where the ad appears.