AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What are some tips for starting to use the Target CPA Strategy ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently started using target CPA however I didn't find many good results so I wanted to know what are some things I should do when using this bidding strategy. Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @John N,

Target CPA is all about conversions. The first thing to do is determine what your goals are. Once you have that figured out, you can determine a bid strategy that supports it. If goals are not figured out and defined, conversions will be weak. 

The following conversion tracking settings let you customize how you bid for conversions:

• The Include in "Conversions" setting lets you decide whether or not to include individual conversion actions in your "Conversions" reporting column. The data in this column is used by bid strategies like target CPA, target ROAS, and ECPC, so your bid strategy will only optimize based on the conversions that you've chosen to include. Learn more
  • The Include cross-device conversions setting lets you include cross-device conversions in your “Conversions” column and in your conversion-based bid strategies. Learn more

Do you have any other campaigns running that use another bidding option? I would so that you can do some testing to see which works best for your products or services. Not all will be ideal for everyone, which is where running a variety of AdWords products with testing will yield good things.

Next you have to determine what bid stragety to use. Each bid strategy is suited for different kinds of campaigns and advertising goals. For the purposes of bidding, you'll want to consider three basic types of goals, along with your current campaign settings.

• If you want to generate traffic to your website, focusing on clicks could be ideal for you. Cost-per-click (CPC) bidding may be right for your campaign.
  • If you want to increase brand awareness—not drive traffic to your site—focusing on impressions may be your strategy. You can use cost per thousand viewable impressions (vCPM) bidding to put your message in front of customers.
  • If you want customers to take a direct action on your site, and you're using conversion tracking, then it may be best to focus on conversions. Cost-per-acquisition (CPA) bidding lets you do that.

Have you looked over manual CPC bidding, which I think could bring more results for you.

Kind Regards,

James 

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Google requires (needs) some conversion history before your campaign will become eligible for Target CPA bidding.  Be careful to choose a realistic target CPA $ or you will throw their algorithm off. Google will make a suggestion, it's best, at least initially, to stay close to that number (cost per action $).

For some types of campaigns, Target CPA works beautifully.  For others, even some that would seem to be a "no brainer", Target CPA does not work very well.  It's a linear algorithm and so the patterns need to be straightforward, otherwise you may be better off with manual CPC bidding, or eCPC.