AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What are best location settings for local business?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

hi guys

I had a call from Google a few weeks ago, and i said i was tired of getting found for search terms,  nowhere near my area and also even in different countries and they recommended that i change my location setting on a campaign to 'people in my targeted location' previously it was in default 'people in searching for or viewing'

What setting do you recommend i use to just get people from my local area (they all have to come to me for my service) was the google rep correct? and if so doesnt this limit my potential customers with this setting too much, or is it the less of 2 evils?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ripleyhypno
September 2015

Re: What are best location settings for local business?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Well one thing we do is create different campaigns in this type of situation. You can create a campaign that has generic (non location specific keywords) in it's own campaign and have the location targeting set to "people in, searching for, or viewing" so the net is wider for them, and your geo-specific keywords in their own campaign.

This way you can also determine the CPA for both types of traffic. You will still get untargeted clicks for the non-geo (broad) campaigns, but you will be able to see if the the CPA for that campaign is worth it or not.

This can also help you keep you CTR higher for your local geo campaigns (assuming they perform well) rather than having the broad terms which may have lower CTRs diluting them when they are bunched together.

There's no perfect solution, but keep checking your search query report and adding negative keywords to your campaigns. You may also want to add the geo specific keywords to the negatives list for the broad campaign as well so they don't show for those ads. If you're not sure how to do this just be careful. You don't want to add a bad negative and lose good traffic Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Ripley,

To answer your question the best it would help to know what industry you're in and/or an example of keywords that you might use.

If you are currently using the "people in, searching for, or viewing" then if there are people in your local area that do searches for your keywords although are looking for your product/service outside of your area, then your ad could be served.

For the "people in" option, that could be good if your product/service is not something people outside of your area would search for otherwise you wouldn't show up. Take for example a hotel or people looking for a Realtor to buy a home in another state. These people would usually NOT be in the area so having the "people in" option would not make sense.

If you have a business where most of your customers are located in your target area then "people in" could work. The other option could be expanding your negative keyword list to reduce the number of irrelevant terms (assuming there is some type of pattern) people are searching.

If you provide more info on your business that may help.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi

I think the problem is that i have a mixture of kw, ie some will have a location 'hypnosis derby' but some will be more generic 'hypnosis for weight'

ive tried to keep all similar kw together but its not easy so i suppose i have to weigh up the option of either : using 'people in' and risk losing people who might be outside my area but looking for my service (ie they may work away and come home at weekends)

or use the default and get clicks from people who are looking for my generic kw but not in my area

hmmmm
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ripleyhypno
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Well one thing we do is create different campaigns in this type of situation. You can create a campaign that has generic (non location specific keywords) in it's own campaign and have the location targeting set to "people in, searching for, or viewing" so the net is wider for them, and your geo-specific keywords in their own campaign.

This way you can also determine the CPA for both types of traffic. You will still get untargeted clicks for the non-geo (broad) campaigns, but you will be able to see if the the CPA for that campaign is worth it or not.

This can also help you keep you CTR higher for your local geo campaigns (assuming they perform well) rather than having the broad terms which may have lower CTRs diluting them when they are bunched together.

There's no perfect solution, but keep checking your search query report and adding negative keywords to your campaigns. You may also want to add the geo specific keywords to the negatives list for the broad campaign as well so they don't show for those ads. If you're not sure how to do this just be careful. You don't want to add a bad negative and lose good traffic Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for the reply, wouldnt it be correct to have the generic ie weight loss in the 'people in' location and the area kw ie 'hypnosis derby' in the people in, searching for or viewing setting??

or am i missing something?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
That's the way I'd do it. You will still miss a few people who are outside of your area typing in "hypnosis for weight", but that's better than paying for all the extra clicks I'm sure.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
OK thanks for the help