AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What QS is needed to gain close to 100% Impression share for a KW ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Let's say that for a campaign the budget is big enough to have zero impression share lost to budget and I have 10 keywords with various QS-es.

I am looking at Impression share % and Impression share lost to ad rank , per keyword.

I am bidding way more than the Top of page estimate so I expect to gain most of impressions even for low QS keywords.

Based on your personal observations, does one need all QS-es to be 10/10 in order to get 100% Impression share ? Or do you have a close to 100% impressions share per keyword , also with a QS of 5/10 ?

Is there any documentation source in this matter to support the ideea that a certain minimum QS is needed to gain 100% IS with a big enough budget ?

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: What QS is needed to gain close to 100% Impression share for a KW

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adrian,

Really nice question and I look forward to everyone's answers. I have achieved IS of 100% with qs of 5/6/7's before. See Screen snippet:

100% IS.PNG

So It is certainly possible to achieve 100% IS with a 'low' QS if you want to call it that.

At the end of the day, what it all comes down too is specificity of your targeting. If you have general broad match terms with few negatives the it will be really hard to achieve 100% IS and Ad Rank will play a large role in achieving that high IS.

Competition on the keywords also play a large part in the process. The higher the competition the harder it will be to achieve 100% IS. Even with a QS of 10/10.

Consider that you have a keyword with QS 10 and there is high competition. You could still not show for that query match. Your QS is calcualted in every single auction, and for a particular query you may not achieve a QS of 10 for that auction dependant on a number of factors. For example your expected CTR may be lowered drastically in comparison to normal, based on the users session data and what Google has identified that they are actually looking for with their search query. Thus your KW may have a QS of 10 but for that particular auction you are assigned a QS of 7 due to relevancy and your competitors knock you out of the auction.

For me the 2 biggest factors are:

Amount of competition

Specificity of KW (Narrow targeting, lost of negative restrictions etc)

QS is a factor in helping to achieve a high IS, but I do not think it is the largest factor to consider.

Interested to hear what others think!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian,

Eligibility is not determined by you losing an auction or not. AdWords talk of the things that make your ad eligible but are not always clear how they make it eligible (I will try bring some clarity). These are the factors:

1) Target settings
2) Approval Status
3) Bids
4) Quality Score

you need to satisfy all 4 conditions for your ad to be declared eligible.

With regards to targeting options and approval status, this should be self explanatory. If you are not targeting the UK or your ad has not been approved then you are not eligible to show for a query made in the UK about the UK.

WIth bids and QS it gets a little more fuzzy. These 2 factors interact to determine whether or not you were competitive in the auction. If you have a QS of 1 and a CPC of $0.10, but first page bid estimate is $100 you are not be considered competitive and thus not eligible to show your ad.

In the case you described above, provided all 30 of those competitors were competitive in the auction (say the 19 who missed it would have made it if they increased their QS by 1 or bid by 10%) then they are all eligible, thus IS would be lost for all 19.

If the bottom 3 of those in the above auction had to increase their QS by 7 or bid by 1000% in order to stand a chance then they would not be considered competitive and thus not lose IS in this case as they would not be eligible.

The exact cut off point of when IS starts being considered IS lost is not known with accuracy and I imagine it varies according to situation dependant on the almighty Google algorithms.

A good indicator though is first page bid estimates. If you are bidding higher than that then you need to consider that you will be eligible for every auction that your targeting, approval status and budget allows for.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adrian,

Really nice question and I look forward to everyone's answers. I have achieved IS of 100% with qs of 5/6/7's before. See Screen snippet:

100% IS.PNG

So It is certainly possible to achieve 100% IS with a 'low' QS if you want to call it that.

At the end of the day, what it all comes down too is specificity of your targeting. If you have general broad match terms with few negatives the it will be really hard to achieve 100% IS and Ad Rank will play a large role in achieving that high IS.

Competition on the keywords also play a large part in the process. The higher the competition the harder it will be to achieve 100% IS. Even with a QS of 10/10.

Consider that you have a keyword with QS 10 and there is high competition. You could still not show for that query match. Your QS is calcualted in every single auction, and for a particular query you may not achieve a QS of 10 for that auction dependant on a number of factors. For example your expected CTR may be lowered drastically in comparison to normal, based on the users session data and what Google has identified that they are actually looking for with their search query. Thus your KW may have a QS of 10 but for that particular auction you are assigned a QS of 7 due to relevancy and your competitors knock you out of the auction.

For me the 2 biggest factors are:

Amount of competition

Specificity of KW (Narrow targeting, lost of negative restrictions etc)

QS is a factor in helping to achieve a high IS, but I do not think it is the largest factor to consider.

Interested to hear what others think!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Very well analyzed, thank you Clynton M.

So a QS of 5/10 does not prevent a keyword from achieving maximum coverage of impressions for a given time-frame and targeting (location, language, schedule) .

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Great analysis from @Clynton M - As I understand it, provided an ad is eligible to show it can achieve 100% IS... as Clynton points out the competition will be a factor and whilst he also mentions the specificity of the keyword, another obvious factor would be the bid.

The lower your QS, then higher your bid will have to be to guarantee 100% IS... but preventing it achieving 100%, no.

The other point to consider is when a keyword has such a low QS it becomes ineligible in many cases. I guess we get into semantics, because if it's not eligible to run then there is no IS to speak of... but in real terms there is

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, I had a feeling I was missing some information.

So the key issue here is eligibility. Let's make a recap of the workflow of gaining impression share for a keyword

1) First is the auction level at which let's say out of 30 competitors bidding at the same time, 19 are left behind by their low ad rank, leaving 11 competitors to gain an impression, to have their Ad show after this auction.

So at this stage for the 19 competitors their keyword was what ? "Not eligible to show the ad " ?

In this case for the 19 competitors they lose an impression from the impression share or not ? 

Are there 2 types of impression share to think about ? The reported impression share and a bigger real impression share ?

I have some trouble establishing the workflow of when impression share starts counting impressions lost .

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I don't know... it's an interesting question, but, actually, does it matter?

If a keyword's QS is so poor that it is often ineligible to run, then it's not going to be one we should be spending much time optimising in the first place.

If, on the other hand, we feel that the keyword is important to our core business, then we must be doing something else wrong if it's often not eligible. If a keywords has a QS of, say 3 or less, I would suggest there are more important issues to tackle before we start to worry about IS
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian,

Eligibility is not determined by you losing an auction or not. AdWords talk of the things that make your ad eligible but are not always clear how they make it eligible (I will try bring some clarity). These are the factors:

1) Target settings
2) Approval Status
3) Bids
4) Quality Score

you need to satisfy all 4 conditions for your ad to be declared eligible.

With regards to targeting options and approval status, this should be self explanatory. If you are not targeting the UK or your ad has not been approved then you are not eligible to show for a query made in the UK about the UK.

WIth bids and QS it gets a little more fuzzy. These 2 factors interact to determine whether or not you were competitive in the auction. If you have a QS of 1 and a CPC of $0.10, but first page bid estimate is $100 you are not be considered competitive and thus not eligible to show your ad.

In the case you described above, provided all 30 of those competitors were competitive in the auction (say the 19 who missed it would have made it if they increased their QS by 1 or bid by 10%) then they are all eligible, thus IS would be lost for all 19.

If the bottom 3 of those in the above auction had to increase their QS by 7 or bid by 1000% in order to stand a chance then they would not be considered competitive and thus not lose IS in this case as they would not be eligible.

The exact cut off point of when IS starts being considered IS lost is not known with accuracy and I imagine it varies according to situation dependant on the almighty Google algorithms.

A good indicator though is first page bid estimates. If you are bidding higher than that then you need to consider that you will be eligible for every auction that your targeting, approval status and budget allows for.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Awesome, so a quick eligibility hint is the first page bid estimate. 

So a logical workflow would be to run in all accounts an automated rule which at least daily raises the bids to match the first page bid estimate if it is under a reasonable MaxCPC value, to ensure that we lose less impressions.

This has been a great feedback, thank you both.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Adrian B

I also agree with Clynton and Steve. You may be able to receive 100% Impression share for KW without QS10s. Certainly, having a 5/10 QS should not prevent 100% impression share, but it really does depend on a lot of factors. I have found that competition levels and how narrowly defined the search query is matched is to your match types are the 2 biggest factors associated with lost impression share. If you are trying to get a 100% IMP share for an ultra-completive search term, if your ad rank isn’t sufficient, this will hamper you.

This also therefore bring into the equation ROI. Always remember impression share improvements come with additional cost (increased budget, bids or the additional click costs from the additional impressions). So make sure this additional cost is bringing in additional revenue / and ROI for you. A higher impression share (100%) may be a good indicator of the reach of your Adwords campaigns, but make sure those impressions are resulting in qualified visits (with a good CTR) and great conversion rates, thus increasing your profits!

If pending ROI is still well within your margins and your bids are well above first page bid, as described by Clynton, you may consider a flexible bidding strategy, or aided with some form of scripts. Automated rules are indeed an option, all depends on the best fit for your overall strategy of the account. I would suggest a flexible bid strategy is suitable way of really honing in on tightening the ROI, preferably backed up by a tightly defined add group structure.

You have received some excellent analysis from Clynton and Steve, I wish you luck with your campaigns.

James Edward

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you James, I realise that gaining more impressions is an exponential game which can easily turn unprofitable.

Looking at the bid simulator, usually if I want 50% more impressions  I have to raise the bids by around 50% and every clicks costs me more. So instead of 100 clicks at 0.3 USD I get to pay 150 clicks at 0.45 USD, which is an exponential raise in costs.

Yes I guess most businesses should not chase a high impression share without keeping an eye on conversions.

In my case I am within profit margins even if I double the bids,our local market in Romania has relatively low competition on google and most Search bids are under 0.5 USD so I just wanted to know at what factors to look at in a quick summary, when I want to improve impressions share.

However it is a good idea to look at the Auction Insights report for the past month.

If a keyword has a low impression share, and I see there 40 competitors, I should forget about gaining more IS because it won't be an easy task when there are so many mouths to feed from the same table of 11 seats.