AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What Factor Google Considers for location targeting?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey, 

I have a campaign with location targeting set to 15 km of radious with my local store location.

I have a basic idea that Google uses IP address of users or location preference in browser setting, But the IP address of the computers are based on the server location not the actual location of the person, right?

So, How google considers for location of searches for desktop users and mobile users differently?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
September 2015

Re: What Factor Google Considers for location targeting?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Correct;

The IP address is the primary indication the system  uses to identify the user's location.

However, (as you mentioned) this requires the IP addresses (in the country you are in), to be  mapped by location and not by ISPs. If  IPs are mapped by an ISPs, then  location targeting by the radius is inaccurate.  (In these locations, Geo targeting is usually available only by city limits or regions.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Correct;

The IP address is the primary indication the system  uses to identify the user's location.

However, (as you mentioned) this requires the IP addresses (in the country you are in), to be  mapped by location and not by ISPs. If  IPs are mapped by an ISPs, then  location targeting by the radius is inaccurate.  (In these locations, Geo targeting is usually available only by city limits or regions.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Can you provide an idea how am i able to know whether the IP address are mapped by location not by IPS. As targeting entire city isn't worth for my kind of business, I need to target searchers who are actually located in 15 KM of radius as they have to come to my store,

Can you provide me tips on how it works in mobile devices? The GPS setting should be on?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Can you provide an idea how am i able to know whether the IP address are mapped by location not by IPS. As targeting entire city isn't worth for my kind of business, I need to target searchers who are actually located in 15 KM of radius as they have to come to my store,

Can you provide me tips on how it works in mobile devices? The GPS setting should be on?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
which country are you Geo targeting?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Australia. But the point is, I don't want to target entire country or city , just a small portion of city which is 15 KM of radius with my store location as I offer mobile repair service.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Check this discussion about location targeting by radius in Australia;
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/adword-location-radius-doesn-t-wo...