AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

What Does Search Imp Share & Search Lost IS (rank) means?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have many keywords in my adgroup. And there is a column called Search Impr Share & Search Lost IS (rank). I read about this and found that

Search Impr Share = Impression received/Expected Impressions to be received  

& 

Search Lost IS (rank) = Search Impression Lost due to Ad-rank.

I have keywords say for example "mens black shoes" which has 29% Search Impression Share & 5% Search Lost IS (rank) what does this mean? 

Does it mean 29% were expected impressions and 5% impression lost due to Low Adrank?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What Does Search Imp Share & Search Lost IS (rank) means?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Again Chris,

Search Impression Share is a ratio of impressions received to total impressions expected for a keyword. Lost IS rank is the percentage of impression share that was lost due to low ad rank, which is either quality score or bid amount. 29% Impression Share means the keyword has received 29% of impressions and lost on the remaining 71%. Out of that, 5% is due to the rank and remaining should be due to budget.

To conclude, I'd say the keyword is missing out on impressions due to low budget predominantly.

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

Cheers,
Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Chris,

Sumanth has explained it nicely. However, if you still need more information, you can read it here 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497703?hl=en

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, it helped me as well.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thankx Sridhar,

Tel me what should I do, so that I can handle this? Does low search impression share is good or bad? Tel me what should be the next step for this?

Should I increase bid amount? Or try to optimize ad copy & keywords, I mean adding new keywords?

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

You're welcome, Chris!

Low Impression share is certainly not good. Showing ads on all eligible searches increases chances of clicks and hence improves CTR, then quality score eventually. In this case, impressions lost due to budget is more and rank is very less. Which means budget isn't sufficient for the keyword to show on all eligible searches. You can check the same metric - Lost IS budget at the campaign level to understand what % is missed due to budget and increase it accordingly.

Also, could you give some info about the campaign's structure and ad groups you've created?

Cheers,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Sumath,

Tel me how you concluded that the campaign is running on low budget & Search Impr Share is low due to budget. I didn't use or mention the Lost IS budget statistics yet. How you got the idea about this?

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

There could be two reasons for lost impression share - Rank & Budget. If the keyword has 29% impression share, 71 % is lost. You also mentioned Lost IS (rank) is 5%, which means lost IS (Budget) is more. What's the % at campaign level?

Sumanth Sridhar