2.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Website redesign and keyword destination URL change

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm completely revamping my website - currently the user experience and landing page optimisation is awful.  I also have a bunch (around a 1,000) kw's that are geographically related:

Widgets in London

Widgets in Birmingham

Widgets in Bristol

Etc

I have a unique page for each KW, but the only difference really is the geographical term (London, etc).  They're pretty much identical landing pages apart from the geographical KW which varies according to the KW that triggers the ad.

This is a pain to manage and I suffer in SEO for duplicate content.

For my new site I want to direct all of these KW's to one landing page.  Something like 'Local widgets' so it's relevant to all.

I'm concerned that if I bulk change all of the destination URL's for my KW's, I risk losing PPC traffic. Ultimately the user experience will be better with my new site (more informative, better landing page optimisation, etc)

Am I likely to lose traffic if I change the destination URL of the 1,00 KW's?

How should I best handle this change?

Any help / advice will be very much appreciated!  Thanks.

By the way - the actual domain will remain the same, just the landing page destination URL will change on that domain.  Also my current campaigns have been up and running for a while (over a year) and have a reasonable amount of history.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Website redesign and keyword destination URL change

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Adam C,

Changing the destination URL at the keyword level does not have the effect of deleting and adding a new keyword. You may see a change in the keyword QS due to the change in landing page. The landing page user experience is the least weighted of all factors of QS. The history of the keywords will still be considered.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Pete, sounds like that is good for me. I'm confident the landing page is much better than before which should (all other things being equal) lead to a higher conversion rate.

Is there a particular way I should edit the KW destination URL without losing the history?

I think my approach will be simply to log into adwords online (rather than use the editor), locate the ad group, then locate the relevant KW's, select all relevant KW's, hit 'edit', hit 'change destination url's', then specify the new URL & hit save. That simple (I hope?!)

Is this a suitable way to do it?

The ads will remain completely untouched as my current display URL will work fine with my new landing pages.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Adam,

I can't say for certain that bulk edit like that will work. Of the interface allows it, you can change the keyword level destination URL without "resetting" the history.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords