AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Website Structure and Campaign Structure Strategy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I used keywords data research to create a new website. www.gnolsson.com.  I created the new website closely following Google PDF on the subject.  Each webpage about a separate service or product, though there is a lot of overlap in terms of keywords.    I created individual word heirachy rules to assist me to be consistent in allocating keyword phrases to adgroups. 

As time went on, I used the suggestions that google gave for additional keywords, rejecting inappropriate ones, or using them in other adgroups if appropriate there, adhering to my individual word heirachy rules to maintain consistency. I wondered why Google kept suggesting inappropriate words but in some cases it seemed to get better, so thought, maybe it just takes time.

I contacted Google help a couple of times to ask why would a keyword search term take a searcher to a less appropriate adgroup than what it should?  This would happen when the webpage, ad and keywords of a more appropriate adgroup were available.  No real answers came back, so it remained a mystery.  Trust in Adwords machinery to know best.  I wondered why I spent so much time diligently maintaining when Google Adwords did what it liked.  This has worsened in the last 6 months, with me noticing as a searcher on Google that less relevant results are coming back.  No one could say why, Trust in the Adwords machinery to know best.

I also kept a check on budget not limiting our work.

Following advice I had one campaign for Local and one for National, but after years of results I can say this is not a meaningful structure in terms of getting work.

Some adgroups I've been disappointed with not showing well, and some I have to turn off as too successful in terms of clicks but not leading to work.

I was told that if I wanted to improve on this, the next stage was to bring out adgroups into their own campaigns, so got a Google help consultant to do that, which they did all but 3 of.  There are 24 adgroups. 

I applied the same total budget to the 24 adgroups, which immediately dropped my clicks and conversions, till another Google help consultant said larger budget campaigns pull more work.  Would have been handy to know that before.

At the same time as I trialled the 24 - 3 new campaigns, I also ran the old 2 campaigns, national and local, so I could compare the results. 

Since I already had the adgroups separated out into campaigns in their own right, I took advice from a Google Adwords consultant to take the time to test how much budget was required to gain a 0 impression share loss.  Interesting data, but then back in the real world, my budget is not that great.  I worked out for National and Local how to better proportion the total budgets, but this impact will be minimal, but easy to do and made sense for the short term. 

I then paused the individual campaigns for a breather and budget respite more than anything else. 

What I'd like to do is keep most adgroups under one campaign (to maximise the impact of budget on impression showing), then reactivate particular individual campaigns where we want more work, so they can have their own individual budget.  I better know and can apportion the budget to each of  them, following my '0 impression share loss' trial.  I haven't done this yet, but have time to start doing this now. 

I have had several help sessions with Google Adwords help staff, but they appear to 'read' from a standard manual, perhaps like a McDonald's manual, and could not get their head around the data I had, nor assist with explaining the strategic significance of it, and how it may affect my campaign structure strategy. 

In the midst of all this, for the first time since I started several years ago, I'm told not only does Google Adwords suggest keywords, which you can opt to use or not, but it forces keyword search terms onto each and every keyword, without telling you, which then distort where searchers are taken.  I believe it also continues to distort the appropriateness of Google Search suggestions, as I'm not a moron, and if I've missed this critical fact, how many others have, and what a monumental **bleep** up for thwarting Google's main goal to be useful and relevant in search results, if a paying advertiser cannot be successful.  If Google had sensible keyword search terms for each of my keywords, I wouldn't mind. This would even be very helpful.  But they are not.  Not only can they have very little or nothing to do with my keyword, they can actually be highly irrelevant (nothing to do with my website) and at best, more able to relate to keywords in completely different adgroup.  There are well over 10000 keywords in my campaigns. 

So, knowing there is no point in complaining, and realising I just have to work with the beast which wreaks havoc in my life and my clients search attempts, I just want to get on with doing the best I can, given this horrific given.

With just the original National and Local Campaigns I have spent a day going into about 1000 of my high cost keywords, getting rid of inappropriate Google Adwords provided keyword search terms against each of of my keywords.  Each inappropriate keyword search term is now a negative keywords for that adgroup. The good suggestions are now my keywords for that adgroup, in their own right.  

I then searched the high impression keywords across the 2 campaigns and got rid of ones which were just nouns.  This is tough because we make, repair, restore, conserve, alter, convert nouns.  But unless the noun had a verb which we do, along side of it, I thought I'd pull it out.  I did this because I look at the low conversion rate and think, it must be because they want to buy either antique or second hand nounds, or they want to walk into a retail shop which has them ready made.  This was the scariest thing I did by far, and today I start looking at the impact of that Friday last week action.  Do you even get a sensible result over a long weekend - better than nothing, and have to start somewhere.

I'm now overwhelmed with it all and having doubts about EVERYTHING.  I contacted someone on this forum who seemed to know what they were talking about, as I looked at a lot of questions and answers they were engaged with.  I was told unless I spend $500 per day on adwords, they were too exy a consultant for me.  I spend $30 - $35 though still deciding.  What I want is an adwords expert - no, not just anyone, as there is too much at stake - a lot of our work comes from online now.  I want someone who I'm convinced knows what they are doing in a world where everyone reckons they are expert - to look at the data, the recent couple of trials, and then helps me come up with a campaign structure and method of doing keywords, - whether they tell me what to do, or they do the initial change and set up and then I run with it afterwards - and do you think that may be possible? 

The message is epic, because it has been epic.  Sorry for the forced read.

Whatdayareckon?

zebedi

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Website Structure and Campaign Structure Strategy

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Zebedi,

Thanks for posting on the forum. I understand your frustration and hopefully will be able to provide some help. 

From reading your post, I can see that you have conducted a lot of research into AdWords and best practices and have a lot of knowledge of the product. 

I'm going to make a few suggestions below. I hope you don't find them too simple. You mentioned that you have a large account already in place however, I think in this situation to avoid becoming overwhelmed, getting back to basics might be key to creating a successful account. 

Account Structure

It is a good idea to structure your AdWords account similar to the structure of your website. 

This Adwords page contains the YouTube video about account structure. Hopefully you will find this visualization useful: 

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1704396&from=146677&rd=1

Best Practices

We generally recommend having 15-20 keywords per ad group, 2-3 ad texts and a good list of negative keywords. 

You can set each search-targeted keyword to have one of four settings: broad match, phrase match, exact match, or negative match. These four keyword matching options can help you control who sees your ads.

To use a keyword matching option, just add the appropriate punctuation to your keyword (shown below). If you don't add any of the specified punctuation, your keyword will be broad match by default.

Here's a summary of the four options:

1. Broad match: keyword (no punctuation)

Allows your ad to show for searches on similar phrases and relevant variations

2. Phrase match: "keyword"

Allows your ad to show for searches that match the exact phrase

3. Exact match: [keyword]

Allows your ad to show for searches that match the exact phrase exclusively

4. Negative match: -keyword

Ensures your ad doesn't show for any search that includes that term. Try to make negative keywords as broad as possible e.g. if you don't offer velvet shoes, I would recommend adding velvet as a broad match negative keyword rather than [red velvet shoes] as a negative exact match keyword.

Here is a link with more information about keyword matching options:

http://adwords.google.com/support/aw/bin/topic.py?hl=en&topic=16084&from=78&rd=1

We have also added a match type called broad match modifier. It provides more reach than phrase match but isn't as wide reaching as broad match. Rather than using the match types above, it might be the best option for your account.

Please see more here:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2497702

Refining your campaigns

When you add new keywords, I would recommend letting them run for 2/3 weeks before assessing performance. If after 2/3 weeks they have a CTR below 2%, I would look into editing or replacing the keywords in question. 

CTR is one of the most important factors of quality score and quality score is like a web. The individual performance of every element of an account will affect every other element. Ad texts, keywords, ad groups, campaigns and domains all affect each other. The longer there is bad performance of any of those elements, the more negatively affected an account can become which why we recommend deleting badly performing keywords.

Opimization Centre

Please visit our optimization page below for more best practices and suggestions:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/topic.py?hl=en&topic=21804&from=guide&rd=1

Google Partner Search

I understand from your post that you have quite a large account already in place and rather than 'going back to basics', you may want to optimize the campaigns already in place.

I am attaching the link to our Google Partner Search below. Here you will find a list of Certified AdWords Partners in your area, for your budget. You could look into contacting a partner to help you with your account.

https://adwords.google.com/professionals/search/ 

I hope this information helps. 

Rachel

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Zebedi,

Your problems with AdWords are almost what most other people experience. AdWords can burn a big hole in your pocket unless it is worked on correctly. Several best practices that are widely suggested, sometimes do not work.

After having read your post, I realise that you need direction as to what to do next. What you need to confirm is, do you want a consultant, who will help you set up and manage the campaign or just someone who can advise you on how to go about sorting out your account? Either ways, you have chosen the correct platform to share your problem with AdWords.

Let us know.

Heta
- Paid Search Marketing | www.convonix.com

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Whether a paid review, or a love job, I'd initially love feedback about the existing website and adwords campaign structure, based on the data that is now to hand.  Interpretation of results, if you like, which then feeds into the next stage. 

Following that, I imagine there are things to do.  If major restructure is required, I'd like the consultant to also do that.  I have many other duties to attend to other than adwords. 

If there are some key things I can do, within my limited capabilities, then I'd appreciate being told what to do and why.

I'm after maximum ROI. 

Before I engage someone, I need convincing that they know what the best strategy is, and are able to do the work with efficacy and economy, ie I can afford them. 

There are a myriad of people who can say they can do this type of work ....

I want someone who appreciates the significance of their decisions on business income.  

zebedi

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hi Zebedi,

Thanks for posting on the forum. I understand your frustration and hopefully will be able to provide some help. 

From reading your post, I can see that you have conducted a lot of research into AdWords and best practices and have a lot of knowledge of the product. 

I'm going to make a few suggestions below. I hope you don't find them too simple. You mentioned that you have a large account already in place however, I think in this situation to avoid becoming overwhelmed, getting back to basics might be key to creating a successful account. 

Account Structure

It is a good idea to structure your AdWords account similar to the structure of your website. 

This Adwords page contains the YouTube video about account structure. Hopefully you will find this visualization useful: 

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1704396&from=146677&rd=1

Best Practices

We generally recommend having 15-20 keywords per ad group, 2-3 ad texts and a good list of negative keywords. 

You can set each search-targeted keyword to have one of four settings: broad match, phrase match, exact match, or negative match. These four keyword matching options can help you control who sees your ads.

To use a keyword matching option, just add the appropriate punctuation to your keyword (shown below). If you don't add any of the specified punctuation, your keyword will be broad match by default.

Here's a summary of the four options:

1. Broad match: keyword (no punctuation)

Allows your ad to show for searches on similar phrases and relevant variations

2. Phrase match: "keyword"

Allows your ad to show for searches that match the exact phrase

3. Exact match: [keyword]

Allows your ad to show for searches that match the exact phrase exclusively

4. Negative match: -keyword

Ensures your ad doesn't show for any search that includes that term. Try to make negative keywords as broad as possible e.g. if you don't offer velvet shoes, I would recommend adding velvet as a broad match negative keyword rather than [red velvet shoes] as a negative exact match keyword.

Here is a link with more information about keyword matching options:

http://adwords.google.com/support/aw/bin/topic.py?hl=en&topic=16084&from=78&rd=1

We have also added a match type called broad match modifier. It provides more reach than phrase match but isn't as wide reaching as broad match. Rather than using the match types above, it might be the best option for your account.

Please see more here:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2497702

Refining your campaigns

When you add new keywords, I would recommend letting them run for 2/3 weeks before assessing performance. If after 2/3 weeks they have a CTR below 2%, I would look into editing or replacing the keywords in question. 

CTR is one of the most important factors of quality score and quality score is like a web. The individual performance of every element of an account will affect every other element. Ad texts, keywords, ad groups, campaigns and domains all affect each other. The longer there is bad performance of any of those elements, the more negatively affected an account can become which why we recommend deleting badly performing keywords.

Opimization Centre

Please visit our optimization page below for more best practices and suggestions:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/topic.py?hl=en&topic=21804&from=guide&rd=1

Google Partner Search

I understand from your post that you have quite a large account already in place and rather than 'going back to basics', you may want to optimize the campaigns already in place.

I am attaching the link to our Google Partner Search below. Here you will find a list of Certified AdWords Partners in your area, for your budget. You could look into contacting a partner to help you with your account.

https://adwords.google.com/professionals/search/ 

I hope this information helps. 

Rachel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Heaps of homework for me there Rachel.  Thanks for your reply.  :-)

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Zebedi,

You may find this case study from PPC Professionals helpful with your account structure questions.  

PPC Professionals explains the benefits of proper Adwords account structure in a case study featuring an e-commerce website using real examples and exemplifying their positive results. Find out how to reduce AdWords CPA by over 60% with Strategic Segmentation.

http://goo.gl/D09kpO

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Refine your keyword lists using matching types and also negative matches so that the inappropriate ads from other ad groups do not appear.