Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

We seem to be getting clicks but no conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Like others we are getting clicks but no conversions.

We are running 1 Ad Group per Keyword exact match and as targeted as possible, with 2 Ad's per keyword/Ad group on rotation.

Originally on search and display but cut back to just search at clients request ( even though 2 conversions via display network )

QS on Ad's is 7/10 and a lot of Ad's showing above average relevance.

Brand new campaign only 3 days old so i realise it needs to settle but 175 clicks and only 3 conversions.

Running conversion tracking via thank you for enquiry page redirect after form submit.

Site is responsive. Call to action on all landing pages.

Gut feeling is pointing to site/landing pages so an outside opinion would be greatly appreciated.

landing page example http://www.moorgateaesthetics.com/eyebag-removal-surgery/

Kindest Regards

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: We seem to be getting clicks but no conversions

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Vincent,

Given your product, a conversion rate of just under 2% is not something to be stressing over. It is a good place to start your optimisations.

With this kind of product I would want to make sure that the quality of audience you are bringing to your site is good. Ensure that your keywords are targeted, and your ads are clear on what your product is about.

That being said, without seeing your account it is hard to suggest specific things to improve but looking at your 'landing page' there is tons of place for improvement here. I will make a few suggestions.

1) This is not a landing page but a website page... You need a stand alone landing page with minimal leaks.

2) Where is your form? Really? Does that pop to you? is your attention drawn to it? Make sure it stands out! put it in a box at least.

3) Your form CTA.... small grey send button? Make it large, make it colourful, make it stand out. Change the wording, some suggestions include telling the user what they are getting, what you are giving them make them want to click that button.

4) Lose the verification code. Are you really worried about bots filling out your form? is that an issue for you? It makes the form to much effort to fill out.

5)Lose the additional fields... where did you hear about us.. well this is a landing page.. I should only be able to get here form google. What procedure do I want? well the one you are offering would be good, you know the procedure of the page I was brought to. You are making to form unnecessarily tedious. You want to make the process as painless and easy as possible. If this information is really that important to you then get it at a later stage, perhaps in a follow up email.

6) Is this a landing page or a medical paper/seminar... your landing page looks like a complex paper, I actually do not know if it is. It was far too much effort to read and it looks like work. Lose the pages and pages of text. Get to the point, state the benefits make it easy for your user to see what they are getting and what they have to do. Bullet points are good because they force you to stop writing like you publishing a paper. On top of that you already have a leak that people can use for more information, so why have pages of text?

That is a few points that can be improved on. There is plenty of room for improvement, but as I said earlier you have a nice place to start. Just remember, to always be testing. For example perhaps the wealth of information is necessary for a conversion but in that case you will need to think of a new way to present at as it just looks like too much effort at the moment. Perhaps make a 'summary' type format above the fold and then write an easy flowing piece later.

Good Luck

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Great advice!
Thanks Clynton Smiley Happy
Sumanth Sridhar

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Vincent,

Further to Clynton's great answer, I'd just underline that 3 conversions in 175 clicks is a conversion rate of 1.7% and not necessarily that bad, especially given Clynton's comments on your site.

I'm wondering a little why your QS is only 7/10.  7 is a good number - Google now considers 5 to be average - but with one Keyword per Group and tightly themed Ads I'd expect 9s or even 10s.  I might be inclined to look at having three Ad variations rather than 2 to give you a better opportunity to edit/change for better CTR.  This won't necessarily help with conversions, but better CTR usually means a better engagement with the searcher which may predicate a better conversion rate.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Vincent,

Although your keywords are a mix of exact match and targeted keywords, you may want to go through the search query report and filter out keywords which are not converting and also get an idea as to which are the search queries which are converting most and can be focused upon.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Sheema

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi Vincent,

You have some great suggestions here from Clynton & Cobnut. To add what they have said here.

As rightly pointed out by both Clynton & Cobnut, a conversion rate of 1.7% for a search campaign is not bad at all. From my personal experience, the conversion rate totally depends on the what sector your products & services fall under. I have ran campaigns with an overall conversion rate of upto 0.80% and these were successful campaigns (just fyi).

Also, like you said you had to cut down to just the Search network as per clients instructions which could because Display tends to spends much more than Search campaigns. Also the intent of the users on the Search & Display network is totally different.

On the search network, a user is actively looking for you or themes related to yours where as on the display network a user is shown you ad based on contextual targeting, which is where an ad is mapped to a placement when the theme of your targeted keywords match the content on the placement. So essentially the user is not looking out for you at all.

Due to this distinction, the quality of leads recorded via the display campaign could also not be great. I have had 100's of leads recorded from display campaigns that turned out to be not qualified at all.

So I would recommend you keep optimizing your Search campaigns, use the Search Query report to understand the find if there are any themes that you can add to your campaigns and look to record as many quality leads as possible. If you have a CRM/back end this could be very easily tracked back to your campaigns and used to optimize the same.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Enjoyable response with excellent valid points from Clynton M.

The CTA does look very sad and indeed makes me question why there is so much fighting for my attention on the page.

Keep it simple.

James