AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

We need better results to continue using adwords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

we have a carpet cleaning business and i was wondering what would be the best set up to use to get our adwords campaign taking off. I have been using adwords well over 3 years and i haven't seen a consistency in customers from this but this year we have spent an average of 600.00 a month this year. We need better results for us to continue to use adwords

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: We need better results to continue using adwords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi David,

Welcome to the Adwords Community.

The performance of an Adwords campaign can be influenced by lot of factors starting from keyword selection, match type, ads, ad extensions to landing pages.

For a service like carpet cleaning, factors like your actual service area (location), price, and competition can also influence results.

As your are running the campaign for the past 3 years, can you identify any specific weak areas in your campaign?

The landing page is also a huge factor in campaign success.

And with the type of business you are in, ad extensions like call extensions and location extensions are also very important. Are you using them now?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi David, as Deepak has said, AdWords performance is a wide topic and we'd need to know a lot more about your current setup to offer any really constructive, useful advice.  

If your Account has been running for over 3 years you must have accumulated a lot of data in that time so I'd be looking at whether you're really tying your Keywords down to those with a proven history of conversion, making sure your Ads are the best versions you've tried, your website is the most responsive and user-friendly and so on.

Presumably you're measuring sales/commissions; how has this performance changed?  Have costs gone up without an increase in sales or have sales gone down in frequency, number or value?  Understanding this could give us some pointers on where to focus your efforts.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
yes we do have a call to action on our listing. I will do more research and if necessary call adwords as well. I have maximized the keywords that are the most effective and removed the ones that aren't. what is bothersome is how much the keywords are costing us for someone to click on our ad and not seeing the results on the phone. Something has to change soon

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

David,

As both Jon and Deepak have mentioned there are a lot of factors, at the same time you have a wealth of data to compare.

Not seeing your account I will just ad some things that I see from accounts that expect the same results of the past. ( not say they will be true in your case, but something to look at).

1) Are your Ad rank positions the same as they have been in the past? Sometimes in the service industry a position 1 or 2 can mean the difference between clicks and conversions. With positions in the 3-6 you can be racking up impression with low CTR's and the clicks you get are more about Price shopping comparisons.

2) How is your mobile presence? Is your website Mobile Optimized? Are your call extension impressions High? Call Extensions only show up in the top 1-3 spots and sometimes only top 2. In mobile it's more competitive. Look at your stats and you may want to do bid adjustments for Higher or Lower on Mobile.. something to test.

3) Have you optimized your settings are the Quality scores of your keyword at least 7/10? What's the keyword diagnostics telling you. Check your match types, check your Keyword search reports to see if negative keywords need to be added.

3) With a budget of 600.00 are you utilizing a good ad schedule to not show ads late at night or early mornings?

4) As Deepak mentioned, your Location Extension is important. There has been a change recently where old location extensions are being removed, and you need to upgrade to the Google My Business page and sync.

5) Are you using the new Call Outs extensions. as well as every extension that is available to you, since Extension do have a effect on Ad Rank.

6) Look into your Impressions share reports ( especially Lost IS Rank )

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497703?hl=en

Good luck and look at your account with a fine tooth comb, as well as the analytics.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David,

I suspect a re-work of the account is needed, but not necessarily the only way for improvement. I suppose you can focus on keyword quality and on geographic targeting first. This is not an exhaustive list of suggestions to take but a least a starting point.

For keyword quality, run a search term report to see what is pulling up your ads. If you see irrelevant keywords, add those to your negative keyword list. Also look for high/low bounce rates and high/low conversions.

For geographic targeting for the area you service, try adding the city/county name to your keywords if that has not been done already. Also run a report to show the geographic locations your customers are in.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Some very good advice from Jon, Eric and George.

May be one other thing worth mentioning here is Remarketing.

Have you used remarketing? If not, definitely worth trying!

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453998?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
David,

You've gotten some good feedback so far. Specifically Eric's advice regarding ad rank positions is something to consider, as well as mobile optimization. Have you looked through traffic to see A. How much traffic comes from Mobile vs Desktop and B. What your CTR is for each device? Do you ever run any ads that are "mobile optimized"? Ad scheduling, as someone mentioned, is also very important. I recommend going to

Acquisitions--AdWords--Hour of Day

Identify times where you get clicks that rarely result in revenue, consider using custom scheduling and bid adjustments to focus on times where you are seeing greater benefits from your advertising. Do you do any dynamic ads?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi David-

All very good advice so far!

I would suggest a few things. I have a very good friend here in Chicago that I help manage his Adwords accounts. One thing we have noticed in the area is the CPC can be very expensive and the conversion ratio are low which ultimately hurts the bottom line.

We started to use all the data we had from the past months and decided to try something out! Below is the steps we took and have seen a huge increase in our conversions. There is still work to be done (but I believe you always need to better your advertising!).

First you want to review all you past months history/data. When is the highest level of activity/clicks ? Does that activity result in phone calls during those times? Are you use a Google forwarding number for a click to call. If using a Google forwarding number, that is the best data to use. Because that typically is people looking for or wanting to call.
Knowing the data/history you might want to change how you have your ads set up (personally I work with a lot of "need now industries" where a website or information is not relevant to a phone call.... i.e. locksmiths- when you need a locksmith you don't need to know much but a phone number. Carpet cleaning is kind of like this but people do want to see a website too.)

Our Steps:

1. We set the Campaign to Search Network Only- All features
  2. Location- We target very specific cities we know business is good in via demographics of the clients. Exclude the cities that are too far or do not want to service.
  3. Set Advance Location options to- Target: People in my targeted location, Exclude: People in, searching for, or viewing about excluded location
  4. Set Bid Strategy to Focus on Clicks, selecting manually set bids
  5. Increase Daily Budget. (I typically run my daily budgets really high because I have the campaigns so filtered that I do have a good idea what each day will bring and it is a fraction of my daily budget). This might not be relevant for your campaign because not sure what your daily is set at.
  6. Add a Phone Extension- I have now tested out using a Google forwarding number or just our number. It seems like using just our numbers we get a lot better results. All of our phone numbers a 100% tracked and recorded so we know our results. I am not 100% sure if Google use Toll Free numbers for their call forwarding but the ratio's are very different.
  7. Set an Add Schedule. I would suggest looking at the data and see the times of the day are higher searches/impressions. If 4pm to 6pm is the highest and Saturdays from 9 am to 12 pm I would do something like. Monday to Friday Schedule from 7 am to 4pm, another Monday to Friday 4 pm to 6 pm Schedule, a Saturday 9 am to 12 pm, Closed on Sunday (something like this). But on those heavy traffic hours you are going to increase your bids by 25%-100%.
  8. Make sure you are using the negative keywords and tool to find those negative keywords.
  9. Create other campaign extension that might help. Callout extensions: Buy 2 rooms get 1 free or the famous 3 room special!

All of this will help you on your way to better preforming ads.

Last is about the bids themselves. I personal set my manual bid very low and increase it substantially during the times, locations, and devices set through the All Features setting options. This will decrease the amount of bad clicks and insure a number #1 spot on ads during the times, locations, and on the devices during the best times!

Best of luck to you!

Cheers!

John