AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Want to optimize my campaigns, best pratices?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

Well I feel that I'm already familiar with Adwords interface and this time even after reading much good information I feel that I need community help.

What I have:

1. OK Ads in search

2. Weak display ads setup

3. Weak remarketing setup

Currently most of the campaigns are targeted both for search and display network. 

Have new campaigns just for display network with images and remarketing campaign with same images.

Questions:

1. Do I need to make all my text ads just for search? Or can I leave them as they are (Search + Display)?

- Is it better to make two campaigns, one for search and one for display? Do I need to change my existing Search and display campaigns?

2. Do I need to make different campaigns or ad groups targeting different devices?

3. Can I have text ads and image ads for Display network or should I use only image/dynamic ads only?

I created two campaigns: one targets keywords, other websites. Only banner ads.

4. I need good resource to learn about remarketing list and how to use them. Maybe you can suggest something? I tried to do targeting for visitors who bounce off landing page but I don't know if I did it correctly that is why I need to learn more about creating lists and. Adwords tutorials are too complicated at the moment or without clear, easy to grasp explanations.

-I created remarketing campaign for All visitors list but don't have any clue how it will work practically and how to understand and improve my skills with remarketing.

Thank you for reading,

hope to get some answers

1 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vytautas P
September 2015

Re: Want to optimize my campaigns, best pratices?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Vytautas,

I will try and answer each of your questions to your satisfaction. Feel free to let me know if you need any further clarification on any points.

I would highly recommend having to different campaigns for Search and for Display. These 2 campaign types usually operate very differently and by having them both in the same campaign optimisations are sub par at best. Each requires different tweaks and often different bidding and/or targeting. Separating them is a must.

You do not need to target different devices (in fact without a convoluted work around you can not). Your options are either mobile on or mobile off. If mobile works for you then I would suggest making mobile preferred ads. This is an option you have for each text ad. The reason for doing this is that mobile ads can be displayed differently, namely the second description line can be dropped if Google feels an ad extension would generate more clicks. So I would advise you to ensure that all your mobile preferred ads are able to be read clearly with only line 1 (and ensure that the most important information is here).

You can have both, although I would not advise having them in the same ad group, or even campaign. Same applies here as in answer 1, your text ads may require certain adjustments that won't benefit your banners. That being said I usually find Banners outperform text ads on the display network. You need to look at your account yourself though and decide if you can afford to run both or if it would be more profitable to just use all that budget on one.

There are a ton of resources out there, If the AdWords guides on the help center are a bit unclear then there are plenty of white papers that you can get your hands on. I practically have a library of the things. I have found the most in depth and useful ones with regards to the AdWords platform to come from PPCHERO (Hanapin marketing) and from Wordstream. You can find a walk through and best practice guides there, and then use this coupled with the AdWords guides to get a greater understanding. The latest craze is RLSA at the moment, so pay attention to that.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Vytautas,

I will try my best to answer your queries here:

1. Do I need to make all my text ads just for search? Or can I leave them as they are (Search + Display)?

- Is it better to make two campaigns, one for search and one for display? Do I need to change my existing Search and display campaigns?

Yes, it is always a good practice to create two separate campaigns for Search & Display network. To do this, you can change your current campaign type to just Search ( if you think the structure is sound enough for a search campaign), then create a separate display network campaign with text/ display ads as per your convenience.

2. Do I need to make different campaigns or ad groups targeting different devices?

No, You do not need to this. Enhanced campaigns allow you to target different devices under the same campaign. While you can make bid adjustments for desktops & mobiles, you cannot however do anything for tablets. Tablets by default will be targeted based on the bids you set for your themes.

3. Can I have text ads and image ads for Display network or should I use only image/dynamic ads only?

Ideally, I would keep the text and display ads in different campaigns altogether. It would help me understand which ad type is working for me plus also it will help me decide on the best performing ad variation (for both text or display). 

Your approach to target just keywords in one campaign and websites in another sounds fine. But I would give targeting the keywords the better budget share as that campaign would allow you to keep your targeting net wide enough and your reach open to all websites that are relevant to your themes.

4. I need good resource to learn about remarketing list and how to use them. Maybe you can suggest something? I tried to do targeting for visitors who bounce off landing page but I don't know if I did it correctly that is why I need to learn more about creating lists and. Adwords tutorials are too complicated at the moment or without clear, easy to grasp explanations.

Yes, I agree AdWords help videos can be vague at times and give you just a general strategy as to what you can do. To elaborate here ( and you can compare notes on this what you have done at your end), you will first create a list of all users who visit your website. Once you have this list, you then go on to create another list of users who have visited your 'Thankyou' page using the 'visited the specific URL' option while creating lists.

Once you have this list, you need to create a custom combination list of users by negating the 'thankyou' page visitors from the 'All Users' list by using the option of "All of users from the 'All Users' list" and "None of the 'ThankYou' page" users list.

Here is a good link on Custom Combinations: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549111?hl=en

Once you have this custom list, you just need to create a new 'Remarketing' campaign, go to the 'Display Network' tab, then the 'Interest & Remarketing' tab. You will then get a list of all lists created by you in a small dialogue box. You can select the Custom list you created from the list and add them to the campaign.

Once this is done and you have your customized remarketing ad copies ( text/ display), you can upload the same and go live with the campaign.

Do give this a read and try your hand at creating the campaign. If you need any further clarification on this, please feel free to reach out to us here.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Vytautas,

I agree with what Clynton and Shashank have said. I definitely suggest splitting up your campaigns by network. I like to run both text and image ads for display but text ads typically go through the budget faster, so it's good to put them in separate campaigns so that you can cap budget while still splitting the impressions between the two.

Here are a few more resources for remarketing in addition to the others that have alerady been mentioned:
http://www.searchenginejournal.com/5-incredibily-useful-remarketing-lists-import-analytics/109240/

http://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2012/12/19/google-adwords-remarketing-cheatsheet

Good luck!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Vytautas,

I will try and answer each of your questions to your satisfaction. Feel free to let me know if you need any further clarification on any points.

I would highly recommend having to different campaigns for Search and for Display. These 2 campaign types usually operate very differently and by having them both in the same campaign optimisations are sub par at best. Each requires different tweaks and often different bidding and/or targeting. Separating them is a must.

You do not need to target different devices (in fact without a convoluted work around you can not). Your options are either mobile on or mobile off. If mobile works for you then I would suggest making mobile preferred ads. This is an option you have for each text ad. The reason for doing this is that mobile ads can be displayed differently, namely the second description line can be dropped if Google feels an ad extension would generate more clicks. So I would advise you to ensure that all your mobile preferred ads are able to be read clearly with only line 1 (and ensure that the most important information is here).

You can have both, although I would not advise having them in the same ad group, or even campaign. Same applies here as in answer 1, your text ads may require certain adjustments that won't benefit your banners. That being said I usually find Banners outperform text ads on the display network. You need to look at your account yourself though and decide if you can afford to run both or if it would be more profitable to just use all that budget on one.

There are a ton of resources out there, If the AdWords guides on the help center are a bit unclear then there are plenty of white papers that you can get your hands on. I practically have a library of the things. I have found the most in depth and useful ones with regards to the AdWords platform to come from PPCHERO (Hanapin marketing) and from Wordstream. You can find a walk through and best practice guides there, and then use this coupled with the AdWords guides to get a greater understanding. The latest craze is RLSA at the moment, so pay attention to that.

Hope this helps!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Vytautas,

I will try my best to answer your queries here:

Yes, it is always a good practice to create two separate campaigns for Search & Display network. To do this, you can change your current campaign type to just Search ( if you think the structure is sound enough for a search campaign), then create a separate display network campaign with text/ display ads as per your convenience.

No, You do not need to this. Enhanced campaigns allow you to target different devices under the same campaign. While you can make bid adjustments for desktops & mobiles, you cannot however do anything for tablets. Tablets by default will be targeted based on the bids you set for your themes.

Ideally, I would keep the text and display ads in different campaigns altogether. It would help me understand which ad type is working for me plus also it will help me decide on the best performing ad variation (for both text or display). 

Your approach to target just keywords in one campaign and websites in another sounds fine. But I would give targeting the keywords the better budget share as that campaign would allow you to keep your targeting net wide enough and your reach open to all websites that are relevant to your themes.

Yes, I agree AdWords help videos can be vague at times and give you just a general strategy as to what you can do. To elaborate here ( and you can compare notes on this what you have done at your end), you will first create a list of all users who visit your website. Once you have this list, you then go on to create another list of users who have visited your 'Thankyou' page using the 'visited the specific URL' option while creating lists.

Once you have this list, you need to create a custom combination list of users by negating the 'thankyou' page visitors from the 'All Users' list by using the option of "All of users from the 'All Users' list" and "None of the 'ThankYou' page" users list.

Here is a good link on Custom Combinations: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549111?hl=en

Once you have this custom list, you just need to create a new 'Remarketing' campaign, go to the 'Display Network' tab, then the 'Interest & Remarketing' tab. You will then get a list of all lists created by you in a small dialogue box. You can select the Custom list you created from the list and add them to the campaign.

Once this is done and you have your customized remarketing ad copies ( text/ display), you can upload the same and go live with the campaign.

Do give this a read and try your hand at creating the campaign. If you need any further clarification on this, please feel free to reach out to us here.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Vytautas,

I agree with what Clynton and Shashank have said. I definitely suggest splitting up your campaigns by network. I like to run both text and image ads for display but text ads typically go through the budget faster, so it's good to put them in separate campaigns so that you can cap budget while still splitting the impressions between the two.

Here are a few more resources for remarketing in addition to the others that have alerady been mentioned:
http://www.searchenginejournal.com/5-incredibily-useful-remarketing-lists-import-analytics/109240/

http://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2012/12/19/google-adwords-remarketing-cheatsheet

Good luck!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank a lot for your great and insightful reply.

Ok, I'm creating two different campaigns, one for text ads, another dof display network. Both just text. I'm copy/paste ads and keywords.

Targeting:
now for Display network I will have text ads targeting by keyword, banner ads targeting by keywords in websites and banner ads targeting placements. Good idea?

now to get most of the text ads I will click "V" optimise for mobile. For ad A. Shorter ad text and extensions.
For ad B I won't click "V".

Both of them have same keywords, good idea?

One ad targeting computers, another ad targets mobile devices (?)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks a lot for your great reply!

I need to make separate ads? One for mobile (optimized for Mobile option) and one not optimized for mobile?

Remarketing:

I need to understand one thing. I can sculpt my remarketing list by behaviour of people in my website who come from different kind of Adwords ads. Do I have only one option - to sculpt them by URL rules?

Will try your suggested official Adwords tutorial, thanks.

Thanks a lot for your generosity.

Adwords community is the best  : )

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank a lot for you suggestions and votes for both opinions above. I will definetely study in-depth both sources.

Thanks!

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star

Hi Vytautas,

I am glad we could help you out with this. Here are my views on your questions:

I need to make separate ads? One for mobile (optimized for Mobile option) and one not optimized for mobile?

Yes, ideally if you are targeting both the Desktop and Mobile, you should ideally create mobile optimized ad copies as well. This way you are ensuring that none of your ads are not missing out on any visibility on Mobile devices. Plus, with mobile customized ads you have no or very little competition when your ads do show up as on mobile devices only one ad can been shown.

Here is a link from AdWords that can help you on this: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472719?hl=en

I need to understand one thing. I can sculpt my remarketing list by behaviour of people in my website who come from different kind of Adwords ads. Do I have only one option - to sculpt them by URL rules?

Yes, you can only create lists and custom combinations using URL based rules. You do however have more options under URL based rules, for example, you can remarket to users who visited a page between a specified date range or to visitors of a page with a specific tag on them ( yes, you can create more than one remarketing tag).

Here is a link on creating Remarketing links that may help you: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454064?hl=en&authuser=0#examples

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Shashank

Cheers,