AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Want to exclude the existing customers data from brand campaign

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I have one query regarding my brand keywords. I have one client which are into securities business and my point of concern is my "High Cost Per Account Open" on my brand keywords. If someone searches my brand keywords usually they are searching for login, so they click on ad and do the login, that is why cost per account open is too high and normally we do the same thing when we want to login at facebook from desktop, we google the facebook keyword and we do login.So here also people have the securities account they just google my brand keyword and do the login. Is there is any way i can exclude the existing customers from my brand campaign using remarketing and trying some other stuffs. I don't have any idea how to technically implement the same so if someone please help me with some solutions by providing some steps how to do it.

Regards,
Shazen Khan

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
November 2015

Re: Want to exclude the existing customers data from brand campaign

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Shazen,

Just like you can do remarketing on search to show people who have been to your site specific messages, you can also exclude remarketing lists from your search campaigns, from the exclusions section at the bottom of the Audiences tab.

The tricky part would be in setting up the right kind of list. For one thing, you need at least 1,000 people on a remarketing list in order to use it for search. If the website does not get that kind of traffic, this won't work and you might try negative keywords like Archit suggested (which will also be a simpler and easier option, to be honest!).

Second, you would not want to exclude all past visitors from seeing your ads, since some past visitors may not be customers yet. What you could do is set up a custom list that is a list of all site visitors in a given time who have been to the login page on the site, or the account page on the site. Then you could exclude those people in particular.

If this sounds like something you'd want to do, you can see a full walkthrough here on custom combination lists: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549111?hl=en

Hope this helps!
Cassie

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

i am not sure if you can exclude people from your normal adwords search ads.

you can use retargeting for search where you can target lists with search ads.

potentially you can help avert this by attempting to get existing members to bookmark your site

also you may be able to make your ad copy less conducive to 'login' clicks while at the same time making your title and meta description more appealing to a login click by having 'login' in them plus having a 'fast/easy login' site link for your organic listing etc.

a lot of that depends upon you ranking #1 organically for your brand - do you?

also your brand keyword should not usually cost much to buy with adwords anyway though, unless you have more of a 'keyword brand' than a unique brand term?

that is all I can think of at the moment - interested to see what the rest of the community has to say.

-------------------------
If I answered your question please 'mark as accepted answer & star' so that we know you have what you need
If my answer was helpful/useful but you still need more info please just 'star'
- if I have not answered your question fully then please let me know by reply and I or others will respond

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Shazen,

I hope i am advising you for the situation which you are facing now.

What remarketing can do is displaying a tailored or customized ads to the previous visitors of your website or app but can not stop showing normal search or display ads to the same audience.

So the best strategy you can opt is using the term Login or signin as negative keywords.
It is obvious that if a user is searching for login, he/she already has the account and ofcourse visited your site.

Use terms register, signup with the brand name within the keywords to show your normal ads.

The same strategy you can check live for facebook too by seraching with "facebook sign in" and "facebook sign up"

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
November 2015

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Shazen,

Just like you can do remarketing on search to show people who have been to your site specific messages, you can also exclude remarketing lists from your search campaigns, from the exclusions section at the bottom of the Audiences tab.

The tricky part would be in setting up the right kind of list. For one thing, you need at least 1,000 people on a remarketing list in order to use it for search. If the website does not get that kind of traffic, this won't work and you might try negative keywords like Archit suggested (which will also be a simpler and easier option, to be honest!).

Second, you would not want to exclude all past visitors from seeing your ads, since some past visitors may not be customers yet. What you could do is set up a custom list that is a list of all site visitors in a given time who have been to the login page on the site, or the account page on the site. Then you could exclude those people in particular.

If this sounds like something you'd want to do, you can see a full walkthrough here on custom combination lists: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549111?hl=en

Hope this helps!
Cassie

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Cassie

So are you saying here that with retargeting for search, that can be used to not actually retarget at all but just to create an exclusion list.
Soyou are running search ads now and then can set up an exclusion list to exclude people from your normal search campaigns without actually doing any 'retargeting' to people?

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager

Yes, exactly. The list you exclude needs to be a remarketing list (or else you would not be able to have their cookie data in your list), but it's essentially the same principle as setting up a remarketing list exclusion on a Display campaign. You can learn more here.

Cassie

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
awesome thanks Cassie