AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

WHY BMM (Broad Match Modified) costs a FORTUNE, is everybody get the same conclusion ?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi everybody

I run several AD groups which perform good to average

I mainly use association of 3 keywords

The first ad groups are broad match  

I put a lot on negative search terms 

the CTR range from 2 to 4 % 

the Av CPC is about 5 to 7 USD

When I look at the keywords typed my conclusion was that they are not good enough targeted ( even the conversion rate is ok I was thinking I can do much better cause google show this ads for un-targeted keywords) 

SO I decide to try to make an ad group with the keywords (association of 2 (on 3) but with a broad modified match 

Example

group 1 broad

software development services

group 2 broad modified

+software +development

and it becomes a horror show 

after only one day google ask me to bid for 25 USD even more

I have the same result whatever keywords ad group I tested 

So my conclusion now is that the BMM is 4 times the cost of broad match but when I read some articles , they told that it is not the case, so I am suite surprised, what is your experience on that ? is someone have a real tracking with different matches type for the same keywords ?

Thanks 

1 Expert replyverified_user

WHY BMM (Broad Match Modified) costs a FORTUNE, is everybody get the same conclusion ?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Stephane G,

Negative, we do not have the same experience as you. Generally speaking BMM is more targeted than broad match and chances are that for that reason supply is smaller while demand is higher for BMM. Such circumstances may often result in higher or considerably higher prices.

Now 4-5 times higher prices are of course not typical, though I cannot exclude them under specific circumstances. My best guess is that your scenario might be very specific in a few aspects. Anyway, your story translates to me that your market is excessively competitive where of course anything may happen. (Paying $5-$7 for broad match indicates it is a plausible explanation.)

Best,

Lakatos

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Stephane G

In my experience if ++ are used tightly and with a good campaign / ad groups architecture, ++ can be a really effective way to add value to an account. For example, it seems entirely possible as @Lakatos mentions the ++ allows more highly targeted and therefore the cpc could well be higher as a result. I have found that ++ on particular devices, as well as day parts and locations helps me identify new searches that i get across to exact matches as quickly as i can and build accordingly. 

I have found that whilst cpc can sometimes be a lot higher on ++, when i measure the actual cost per conversion, or cost per conv click, this can be significantly less than broad despite the cpc price differences. It could well be the particular auctions you are after are intense and this is the result. If so, id dig down as much as possible, inc time, location, device, ad messaging, auction insights, literally everything - you may be able to drive down into the data and employ a slighty different strategy with successful results. No promises, but from experience, ++ is a valuable match type in the right conditions. 

Good luck and hope you find a good course of action

James

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Vow, a great contribution, James. Much appreciated.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes of course normally BMM will result in a higher CTR and higher conversion as well but the price that they asked is completely out of control ( if there is a small difference yes but now it is 4 times the cost), so I will wait a few days to see what's going on

Also I have a other question perhaps I did a mistake 

in case of an association of 2 words KEYWORD than I want to put like one , example "data center" 

if a put +data center this will count only data as BMM and center as broad correct ? or adwords take the 2 words like one ?  

how do I put a 2words keyword to be BMM ? do I have to put +data +center but in this case it will appear for "where can I put my data in the center ?" ( example I doubt somebody type this)  i don't want that I want the queries appear only for queries including this 2words KY (data center) one after the other

so +datacenter (without space? )  

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi James 

thanks for your reply, there is something I don't understand in your answer "It could well be the particular auctions you are after are intense and this is the result." so do you mean that for the same keyword, the auctions can be completely different for EACH match ? means broad 6 USD & BMM 20 USD ? 

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey @Stephane G

Sure I will try and explain my thinking a little more. 

If my understanding is correct, the auctions could be completely different for the same keyword absolutely. Lets consider for example, you are bidding on keyword and not +keyword +keyword, since keywords are matched to search queries, the actual auctions you enter on broad match could have a lot of different variables and signals behind the scenes in each and every auction. In the most basic, perhaps broad keywords actual search terms are completely different to the +keyword +keyword auctions entered based on the ad rank, for which i have seen this many times. Broad can be very different depending on the words meanings and Incidentally, as mentioned on your previous post, i believe +keyword keyword will behave different to +keyword +keyword which is another factor. 

It may be some companies have location modifiers, device modifiers, schedule modifiers, or even perhaps the dynamics of the auction prices have changed with players joining or rejoining the auctions. It could be for example, the ++ has not yet developed its own QS, whereas the broad had a developed QS (which is another big topic but plenty of resources on here). Has the position changed for example, could this be a factor? 

Its so difficult to exactly diagnose what is happening specifically to your account blind, but i have found ++ can take a small time to build up their own QS and if so, hopefully with the usual QS optimisations this may change. I hope some of my theories may be at least of a little assistance.

What would i do? Hmm, I think I would very carefully think about the structure of the ad groups, and test match types with a clear strategy behind each. I would definitly analyse the data significantly for sure, to see if there are plausible reasons that match anything I have mentioned (search terms, locations, time, devices, ....) seems to be a 'hit'. If, at all possible, i would for sure experiment with flexible bidding and let the algorithms detect the signals on your behalf, and set some form of target CPA for which again, i have seen some astonishingly fantastic results using these options. 

I would reply more deeply but I am afraid have a pre xmas party to attend in 30mins Smiley Happy

So i will bid you happy holidays and please keep me, and us all posted on this Smiley Happy

James

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@James Edw Goode

you are quite right , auctions are completely different depending the match type and I mean VERY different (perhaps it is link to the competition on particular keywords i used but anytime I try on different theme/business the conclusion is quite the same)  , I will not try to answer on this now cause it is christmas , but I will dig and dig and dig on that for sure , some of my CTR going from 2-3 % to 22 % so the real cost at the end of the day is CTR & conversion even with higher bids, the real cost is how much do you pay an opportunity ...period, thanks a lot for this precise answer which is quite rare today, keep you in touch with the results next week , have a great christmas time Smiley Happy cheers