AdWords
6K members online now
6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Vin's Luxury Bamboo Bedding wants to increase conversions - Can you help him with some tips?

[ Edited ]
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 1
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Hello Community Experts, 

We have a new participant, Vin, in the Back to Business online account optimization. 

Vin is the account manager for the company called Luxury Bamboo Beddinghttp://luxurybamboobedding.com/
Luxury Bamboo Bedding is an online store specializing in the soft, silky and comfortable bamboo bed linens. The company would like to increase their sales and that's why Vin needs your help.

Here is an information on the current setting of the AdWords account:
  • Location targeting is set for Canada and the US
  • The campaign is well structured based on the products
  • In the past 30 days - conversion rate was 1.5%
  • The campaign is set for search network only
  • Sitelink extensions are enabled

Vin needs your help how to increasing overall conversions.

What would you advise?

Here is a list of businesses that received AdWords Community account improvement tips:

How to improve the Quality Score and overall performance? - David's bathstore business

What is the way to increase conversions? - Chris' ultra sound equipment business

How to improve AdWords CTR and reduce CPCs? - Ernest's Speciality Signs and Printing business

How to get the best ROI? - Glen's Van Insurance business

Do you want to know how to target a site in several languages? - Mark's Online psychologist counseling service

Are you a local business? Do you want to know how to better use AdWords for your business? - Leslie's florist business
Zee
G+
3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Vin's Luxury Bamboo Bedding wants to increase conversions - Can you help him with some tips?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Re: Vin's Luxury Bamboo Bedding wants to increase conversions - Can you help him with some tips?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey Vin,

A 1.5% conversion rate is pretty decent... Whats your CTR like?? if you increase the number of targeted people coming to your website, you could get more conversions.

So lets focus on how to get you better quality traffic..

According to Zee's description, your account is well structured.. so thats a great start Smiley Happy

Have you added negative keywords to your account/campaign/adgroups?

What match types are you using? Phrase, exact and BMM would get you more interested traffic.

Whats been the performance of your sitelinks so far?

You could also try Longer Headlines

Also, Zee mentioned that you have a Search Network campaign only. 

Have you tried the Display Network earlier? this will help improve your visibility. Since you have Eco friendly linen.. you could show your ads on blogs, forums, news results etc that talk about the benifits of using eco friendly stuff.

There are a lot of people who look for Green Linen.

Also another important thing to get you more traffic is the kind of Ad Copies you write.

You will need to have more targeted ads highlighting your USPs.. could you give an example of the ads you are using and the ones are are converting the best for you.

I see that you have a 15% discount.. this is something you should be highligting in your ads along with the USPs mentioned on your homepage.. like..non allergenic, thermal regulating, easy care etc..

And by the way.. you have done a great job with your website too! looks pretty good and highlights the important parts of your business as required.

You could also try the Google Product feed/Shopping

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello, Vin.

As someone who's also dealing with AdWords & E-Commerce, let me try to share some of my findings with regards to the conversion rate.

At the core, increasing the conversion rate can be done by varying two parameters: incoming traffic, which can be filtered in order to reduce useless clicks (actually a part of them) and the website conversion rate, which can be increased by performing certain website changes.

Filtering incoming traffic involves AdWords-related techniques, while the website conversion rate, assuming that the traffic you get is relevant, is increased through non-AdWords related techniques.

Can you please tell us how the website conversion rate looks at acquisition channel level? How does paid traffic (AdWords) look in comparison to organic and referral traffic? Is there a small difference or a big one?

If, for instance, AdWords is doing worse than organic, then you may say that AdWords is bringing you useless traffic and you may start segmenting your traffic to see what does not work as it should.

You can always trim traffic at the following levels:

• location (exclude areas that do not bring you conversions)
  • language (if your ads are primarily English but trigger for people using French / Spanish as their search language, see how the conversion rate varies at that level, and you may only want to target English as language)
  • devices (if your website is not mobile friendly maybe you should not advertise on mobile devices until you make it mobile-friendly, hopefully sooner rather than later)
  • time of day (you don't have to advertise throughout the whole day) and day of week
  • keywords and keyword match types (you may have keywords that bring you useless traffic and they may be blocked by t he use of negative keywords, as Shweta rightly pointed out, or you may have too loose match types that attract too many irrelevant queries)
  • bids (see how maybe a lower ad position, at a lower price, influences your traffic; sometimes ads in high positions, if they're not targeted very well, may attract "tire kicker" traffic)

On the other hand, if pretty much all conversion rates (except direct, repeat visitor traffic, which is always converting at a higher rate than other channels, at least for me) are at the same level, then you may want to look at your website, and see if you have any of the following problems:

• pricing (if your competition has better prices for the same or similar products, it is harder for you to sell in the age of Google Shopping and prices comparison)
  • availability (see if people do not search for something, expect to find it on your website, only to realize that you do not have it. I see JC Penney and Land's End are advertising bamboo towels and yet they don't seem to sell them now. It's pretty clear, to me, that bamboo towels related traffic may not convert for them, unless they manage to convince their visitors to buy something else if they came to the website. That's a luxury you can't afford though, because you have a much narrower product inventory than they do)

In general, if you have a lot of (targeted) traffic for a certain product, or product range, and it does not convert, although the product is in stock, it's a pricing issue. Sometimes, for websites which do not inspire trust at all, or have a faulty checkout process, or force people to create an account before checking out, it may be a website design issue as well. But most of the time it's a pricing / availability issue.

I'm looking forward to some answers from you and then hopefully we can dig deeper into things and offer you some better targeted advice.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Gday Vin!

One of the best ways to increase conversions is to take advantage of conversions optimiser found under Bidding options, will need a min 15 conv past 30 days. It works by showing the keywords more often which are more likely to convert.

It's critical that you go with the recommended CPA for the first few weeks otherwise if the CPA is set too low your impressions and clicks could drop by 50% or more.

As already mentioned you ve got to filter out irrelevant search terms from the search term report on a regular basis and update as negatives!

Is the value of each transaction being passed onto your Adwords account? This is super important as you ll be able to see the cost vs conversion value (sales order) on each keyword and pause off keywords which are generating losses.

Look into getting a remarketing campaign up and running as this will re show text and banner ads to unconverted visitors across the display network to bring your product back to top of mind consciousness.

Hope this helps!

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi there, 

I'd just like to add that to get the most out of conversion optimizer it is best to have a large number of conversions over a consistent period of time. If you do not have a large number of conversions yet (or have only recently started getting your conversions in a steady stream) I would recommend going with enhanced cost per click, which uses your conversion tracking data to optimise your bidding strategy. (It is a nice halfway point between manual bidding and conversion optimiser). 

This link here explains Enhanced CPC in more detail if you want to read any further. 

Hope this helps!

A. 

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 7
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Vin,

Were these replies useful to you? Could you please let us know how you doing?

Zee
G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
what did you have in mind I might be able to help ya.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hey Vin,

Thanks for the appreciation! Apologies for the delayed reply.. I was out of town Smiley Happy

Lets take your concerns step by step...

1) using 3 keywords of the same match type may help.. but when someone searches for [bamboo sheets] exactly.. it is generally the most restrictive type that gets the credit.. so I am assuming here that there are other long tail keywords getting you the 45 + 28 conversions you are getting from the phrase and BMM keywords.

I would suggest you run a search terms report and get these keywords and target them.

Also, I would suggest that you restructure -  separate the other keywords from [bamboo sheets].. so that only the exact search query gets triggered from this keyword. in the other adgroup(with the remaining keywords) add [bamboo sheets] as a negative word. This is a bit risky, but it should help in the long term.

2) Conversion optimizer should be used only when you are totally out of ideas with manual optimization.. its an automatic tool afterall! Manual bidding based on performance helps. I think $1000 is a good amount for now..

Focus more on RoI. Increase bids on keywords that get you most revenue. Have you implemented revenue tracking?

3) I think you ad copies can be improved.. I would use something like:

Premium Bamboo Sheets

100% Bamboo. Non Allergenic. 

15% Off Orders above $120. Buy Now!

Silky Soft 100% Bamboo Sheets

Perfect for Kids! Non Allergenic. 

Eco Friendly, Non allergenic & Soft

Bed Sheets. 15% off Orders > $120.

Bed Sheets for Kids?

Get Soft, Organic & Non Allergenic

Sheets Specially for Your Kids!

Premium Bamboo Sheets

100% Bamboo. 100% Comfort.

All at Affordable Rates. Buy Now!

Soft, Silky & 100% Bamboo Sheets.

Affordable Prices. Free Shipping.

Silky, Soft & 100% Organic Sheets

Non Allergenic. Free S&H. Buy Now!

Also... while writing these ads... I realised that you could target mothers(I don't know if you are already doing this..) who are are generally more careful about what products they use for their children.. They are more protective and want to use natural stuff for the kids.

I am not so much of an expert on Google Feeds... so wouldn't want to comment on this...

Regarding the Display Network.. I think you can hold on for now.. Optimize your search network first and get the benifit there since there's a lot you could do to improve on the Search Network.

You could try remarketing though... 

Hope this Helps!

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!