AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

View Through Conversion

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Someone see my image ads in GDN, but don't click on it.

Later the same person visits my site through organic traffic and converts.

Will that be recorded as a View Through Conversion?

Can you please share a resource URL which supports your answer?

Thank you,

Sree

Re: View Through Conversion

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can anyone answer this please?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sree,

the answer to your questions is yes, in Adwords this will show up as a View-Through-Conversion. Read here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722023?hl=en (scroll down to View-through conversion data)

Best,

Eleonore

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Eleonore,

The information on the link says

• Disabled: If a customer views your display ad, doesn't click it, and then later clicks on a search campaign ad, we'll count one view-through conversion and one click conversion.
  • Enable: If a customer views your display ad, doesn't click it, and then later clicks on a search ad, we'll count only the last conversion type (the click conversion, for example).

In both cases clicking on the search ads is necessary to record view through conversion.

My question is what will happen, if the visitor comes through organic traffic. Will that be considered as a view through conversion?

Sree

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I think this will be counted as view through conversion. Because by definition:

"View-through Conversion happens when a customer sees an image or rich media ad, then later completes a conversion on your site "

So when an ad is viewed a cookie is stored on browser memory. When same user completes an action related to ad then a view through conversion occurs.

To avoid this issue you can try doing following thing.

Tools and Analysis => Conversions => conversion(s) name => Advanced (tab) and Enable “View-through conversion search de-duplication.

I am not hundred percent sure of this. 

Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ujjawal,

Thanks for the reply.

It is not clear from the information available, whether organic traffic and conversion will be recorded as a view through conversion.

Want to clarify it 100%. I have to update a client.

Can a Google expert or employee clarify this?

Sree

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi again Sree,

sorry for not explaning in detail. Please read carefully: You wrote: "In both cases clicking on the search ads is necessary to record view through conversion." That is not what is written in the Adwords Help article. It says:

View-through conversion data

"A View-through Conversion happens when a customer sees an image or rich media ad, then later completes a conversion on your site."  => The customer sees the ad and converts later => View through conversion

The article states further: "This is different from a Click-through Conversion, which happens when a customer had previously clicked on an ad (such as on the Google Search or the Google Display Network) and then completed a conversion on your site."

The difference between the enabled and disabled function for View-through is only, if Adwords counts a View-through and a Click-Conversion, after a customer saw an image ad and clicked later on a search ad. 

Hope that helps.

Best,

Eleonore

PS: For how long a visitor - who saw an image ad and visits your site through organic traffic later- will be counted as a view-through-conversion depends on the "conversion-window" you can set in your Adwords interface. By default it is set to 30 days.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Sree,

I just found it on this source. It will be better if some senior member ratify it also.

http://www.ppchero.com/3-view-through-conversion-attribution-problems/

Hope this helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you both for your replies and thank you Ujjawal for the link.

Would definitely love to see a final word on this from a senior expert.

Thanks again,

Sree