Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Video ad rank factors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone, 

I work mainly within YouTube Trueview for ad words and we are trying to understand the biggest factors that contribute to ad rank when it comes to video.  Below is what we have come up with and we wanted to see if we're on the right path:

1. Video Length, shorter the video the more likely YouTube will serve it.

2. Clicks/Engagement, higher clicks the higher the ad rank is

3. View Rate %, impression to view ratio, if it's 30% that means 30% of users did not skip the video.

4. Hitting Budget, if we are hitting our allocated budget per day then I assume our ad rank is strong since we're winning.

5. Starting/Stopping, if we pause campaigns would that hurt our ad rank?

One thing we're wondering is how much does winning or losing a bid affect ad rank.  If we have placement/channel lists that are getting zero impressions that would mean that we are not winning those bid.  If so, should we be pausing those targets then.

Any insights or help would be appreciated!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Video ad rank factors

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi;

Well... I'll have to disagree with your findings;

The principal of an auction on  the display network is  the same as on search. However, the calculation is different. If your ad doesn't get impressions, that means that the ad-rank is low, and the ad does not win a slot;

Read the following articles about ad rank calculations and QS calculation on the display network;

About the Display Network ad auction

Quality Score and the Display Network Question

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Moshe,

Thanks for replying however everything that is discussed in those links refers to the Google Display network. We only buy on YouTube videos and YouTube search so I'm not sure if this applies to how the ad auction works when it comes to video ads.

I agree that if we see zero impressions for a specific targeting parameter then our ad rank is most likely low however how much does that contribute to lowering our ad rank outside of say, clicks or skips of the ad or length of the video.

Our issue is that there is plenty of support articles on ad rank and quality score for search but quality score is not a metric that is available in ad words for video so we're really looking for more insight on the ad words for video side if it's out there.

Let me know your thoughts and again I appreciate your feedback.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again;

There are 3 ad formats on YouTube (consolidated a month ago into two)

• InStream;
  • InDispaly
  • InSearch (now part of InDispaly)

No matter what format you use, an ad-rank in calculated,. (Using the traditional concept of QS and  a bid)
It is correct that Google does not disclose the QS on the display network.

Check this article how QS is calculated on the display network;
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3481092

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your feedback Moshe!