Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Very Competitve Keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello

I am interested in targeting keywords that are very expensive, 20 dollars a click!  

Are there any tips on targeting the same users for cheaper?   

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Liz (Follower ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Hello TatM; $20 per click is expensive (even for "deep po...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello TatM;

$20 per click is expensive (even for "deep pocket" advertisers... Smiley Happy ). Even if you have a high conversion rate of (say) 1:5, that still means, that you spend $100 for each conversion...Man Frustrated

When thinking more deeply, you may observe that search queries have become much longer along the years: it's common today, for users to run queries with 3, 4 and even 5-6 words.

If this is the trend, why not to try and find keywords that are "terms", with a few more words .Let's take an example from an earlier discussion on the community, on the keyword "fluffy shoes". If this keyword were to be expensive for the advertiser, why not to try "winter fluffy shoes", that should be much cheaper.

Edited: The number of impressions may decrease, but CTR should not be effected or even go higher, because your (longer term) keywords are much more relevent to a search query.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Tools available

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi TatM,

Just wanted to add to what Moshe suggested.

In case you haven't already explored these tools, they may be helpful to you to further explore alternative keywords.

Insights for Search - Great to learn about search patterns

Contextual Targeting Tool - Don't worry so much about creating GDN ad groups - You can use this tool to expand your current keyword list. 

Keyword Tool Wiki

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Hey isn't "fluffy shoes" my example? ;P

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Apparently, fluffy shoes are a hot thing these days.

Time to invest in fluffy shoe companies!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Liz (Follower ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Hi Everbody!   Tat - $20/click may be very expensive for...

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Hi Everbody!

Tat - $20/click may be very expensive for your conversion rate, conversion value, total value costs (outside of advertising), etc.

However, for some industries, $20/click (depending on the circumstances) could be an absolute steal!

Aside from that, I do belive remarketing could help accomplish the goal of "targeting the same users for cheaper". The display network can offer (at least impressions) for a much lower bid, and possibly converting clicks for a lower overall cost per conversion. Search networks can be "expensive", in comparison to display, especially for high competition/CPC industries.

What is remarketing and why should I use it?

How does remarketing work?

Tom

Thanks for the help!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Much appreciated!