4.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Using the new offline Conversion Tracking with Google Analtyics Goals

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

I am tracking visits to a post back URL as a goal in Analytics. They don't have a source however so Adwords doesn't recognize it as PPC traffic. Can I import those conversions into Adwords through the new Offline conversion tracking tool?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using the new offline Conversion Tracking with Google Analtyics Go

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Bryan,

I'm not totally sure what's happening here so I'm going to attempt to break this down a bit and see if I can read your mind.  Smiley Happy

I am tracking visits to a post back URL as a goal in Analytics.

Right on - So a form is submitted on a 3rd party site...I'm guessing this is the 'Receipt' page for an e-commerce transaction of some sort?  And you're posting back the data from the transaction to this website.  You've also set this up as an Analytics 'destination' goal? I hope my interpretations are somewhat close as I've based the rest of this on some assumptions. 

They don't have a source however so Adwords doesn't recognize it as PPC traffic.

My initial instinct here is to ask again if this is a 3rd party shopping cart (or something)?  Cross-Domain Analytics/e-commerce tracking may help with this a bit.  Also, if this is the case, AdWords Conversion tracking will work on that same 'receipt' page, you aren't required to use Analytics to get that data back to AdWords.  That said, if your Analytics and AdWords accounts are linked properly, that destination goal could already be an option for import in your AdWords account (maybe). Really the setup here will rely heavily on what the process is here and what your conversions are.

Can I import those conversions into Adwords through the new Offline conversion tracking tool?

Again, depending on what you're working with, I think your best bet is to import the Analytics goal itself (or an alternative Analytics goal) or work on using AdWords conversion tracking.  The offline tracking import is really intended for use by advertisers who will generate leads (not conversions) and then convert those leads to sales via 'offline' contact (phone calls or in person).  The key to this process is pulling the GCLID from the URL that the user initially lands on post ad click. This ID is then added to the form results and internally assigned to a lead.  This ID follows the lead internally until the final sale is complete.  Then the advertiser can upload this data back to AdWords and have it register as a conversion.

I'm not sure if that fits the business model you're working on or not.

If you can/want to clarify anything here, I'm glad to work through this a bit with you.  I made a lot of assumptions from your couple of sentences and could be entirely off track.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Fair Try in your assumptions. You were actually very close. I through I felt my ear tingling now it makes sense.

The more details situation is this.. Client has a call tracking number. When that call tracking number is called, the provider reports the call as a visit to a virtual page url. That Virtual page url is tracked in analtyics as a destination page. Call Happens, conversion is tracked. However, since the url is virtual their is no way to edit the url paramaters to include the Source/medium of the lead so Google doesnt know where the conversion is coming from. I wasnt sure if I could download that conversion report and upload that, if analtyics conversion reports would include the Gclid.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Ok - Yeah, you can probably forget most of what I wrote there. That maybe would have been a second guess.

Funny you mention that about tracking calls and trying to close the loop. I've recently set up some thing very similar but through Universal Analytics. I feel your pain.

If you had the GCLID, I'm sure you could add them to AdWords. I have a feeling though and you can tell me otherwise, that you may run into the same problem with the virtual pageview as the GCLID needs to be carried along from the click to the conversion into Analytics. I think we lose that once the phone is picked up, we're limited to the settings in the provider setup.

I have heard of one method of using very specific pools of phone numbers to create unique call situations where you could actually get some deeper AdWords data back into Analytics. I guess you can buy anything if you have enough of a budget. haha

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’