AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Using negative remarketing lists with less than 100 visitors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm wondering if you can use a remarketing list with less than 100 people to remove visitors from a list that does have 100 people?

In other words, I would like to remarket to visitors that came to our product page on the website (1000+ visitors) but DID NOT go to the product page in the store (vistiors that DID  go to the store are likely less than 100).

I realize I can't use the store list to display ads, but can I use it as a negative list for a 100+ list?

Thanks!

Jim

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jim T
September 2015

Re: Using negative remarketing lists with less than 100 visitors

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

As Rakesh has explained this is possible.

For example if your big list has 900 visitors and your small list has 65, the resulting "custom combination" will show you a total audience of 835 , this number will be your verification signal that the exclusion worked.

The remarketing will work when the targeted "custom combination" audience has over 100 cookies , in our example it has 835 so it will work.

When you expand the duration of the "small audience" to 540 days, the list will become bigger. Let's say that in november 2013 you had 53 visitors, in december2013 you will have 77 and in january 2014 you will have 90 visitors , if the audience had a duration of 540 days, it collected all those visitors and in february 2014 it will have around 53+77+90=220 visitors.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jim,

Welcome to the AdWords CommunitySmiley Happy
As far as you don't to target the audiences that comes in a specific page, it could be small or bigger audience list, you can put them as a negative exclusion. If you think this these audiences are small 100+ only but it will increase day by day so finally you have to exclude them.
If you have less than 100 audiences in last 30 days in this case you can increase the membership duration upto 540 days...or you can able to increase the audiences list in your account.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have a large list (1000+) and a small list (less than 100) that is generated from 30 days of traffic. Both are coming from specific pages. Can I use the small list to exclude from the large list?

According to Google, for a remarketing list to display ads you need 100 visitors in 30 days. So I don't see how upping the duration to 540 days is helpful.

Thanks,
Jim
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jim T
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

As Rakesh has explained this is possible.

For example if your big list has 900 visitors and your small list has 65, the resulting "custom combination" will show you a total audience of 835 , this number will be your verification signal that the exclusion worked.

The remarketing will work when the targeted "custom combination" audience has over 100 cookies , in our example it has 835 so it will work.

When you expand the duration of the "small audience" to 540 days, the list will become bigger. Let's say that in november 2013 you had 53 visitors, in december2013 you will have 77 and in january 2014 you will have 90 visitors , if the audience had a duration of 540 days, it collected all those visitors and in february 2014 it will have around 53+77+90=220 visitors.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
In the OP - the question was about using lists for negative exclusion - this is doen within the interface without generating a combination list... and I'm not sure that this approach will work with lists with less than 100 members.

The solution - as outlined above by Adrian is to develop a combination list, i.e. a list that has "all of this list" and "none of this other list" - and use the resulting list (the combination) as the targeted list.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the answers. I guess the real question was whether I could use a list as part of a combination if the list was <100. I didn't realize you could use a list for negative exclusion without creating a combination list. Still figuring out this part of Adwords (obviously :-)

cheers,
Jim