AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Using multiple destination URL's for split-testing landingpage

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey

I have a webshop and an associated AdWords campaign. Currently the destination URL is the indexpage, and i'm curious as to weather a product landingpage would raise the conversion rate. So i want to make a split test where 50% clicks on the AdWords campaign is sent to the index page and 50% is sent to the product page.

What would be the easiest way of doing so?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mikkel P
September 2015

Re: Using multiple destination URL's for split-testing landingpage

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mikkel,

You can user ACE (adwords campaign experiment) to run this test

Yon can refer to guide below to setup ACE-

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375383?hl=en&ref_topic=3123045

And while setting up you can control exposure to the ad groups/ad copies

Yes, product page could raise the conversions rate if product page is quite relevant to what user is looking for.

In this case, you can duplicate the ad group and change the landing page of duplicated ad group to the product page and set up an experiment.

And in the campaign experiment setting, you can set control/experiment split as 50%-50%

Select Main ad group as “Control only” and duplicated ad group as “Experiment only” and after running experiment for 8-10 days or more, you will be able to see the performance of the landing pages.

Also while running this experiment, make sure you don't make any other changes to the ad groups otherwise you wont be able to judge the landing page performance properly.

Good luck!

SJ

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mikkel P
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mikkel,

You can user ACE (adwords campaign experiment) to run this test

Yon can refer to guide below to setup ACE-

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375383?hl=en&ref_topic=3123045

And while setting up you can control exposure to the ad groups/ad copies

Yes, product page could raise the conversions rate if product page is quite relevant to what user is looking for.

In this case, you can duplicate the ad group and change the landing page of duplicated ad group to the product page and set up an experiment.

And in the campaign experiment setting, you can set control/experiment split as 50%-50%

Select Main ad group as “Control only” and duplicated ad group as “Experiment only” and after running experiment for 8-10 days or more, you will be able to see the performance of the landing pages.

Also while running this experiment, make sure you don't make any other changes to the ad groups otherwise you wont be able to judge the landing page performance properly.

Good luck!

SJ

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

Thank you for your answer

I have now set up a 50/50 experiment and 2 dublicate ad campaigns - one which is control with a destination URL = index and one which experiment with a destination URL = product landingpage.

Right. But this means that 50% of the Ads shown in google search in the control ad and 50% is the experiment ad. You would think that the two ads will get the same amount of clicks, because they are doublicate and are no different what so ever. However the ads may get slightly different CTR's and therefore the number of visitors may accidentally become higher for one of the ads. Ofcourse what matters is the conversion rate, but it would be much preferable to get an equal amount of visits.

I take it there is no way that I can have 1 single ad with two different URL's spit 50/50 - instead of two dublicates with one URL each?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Tiger,

There are other options.

1) Instead of duplicating your whole ad group you could simply duplicate the ads within the adgroup. Set each 'duplicate' ad to have your 2 different URL's and then set those ads to rotate evenly.

2) The other option is to use redirects. You could send the users to a single page and then 301 redirect them equally to each version (so all users get redirected 50/50 split to each page). Or you could send users to one page and 302 redirect half to the other version. (Different directs if the redirect is temporary(302), IE you may not want this URL to replace the index of the other one on search engines).

Hope this helps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi CLynton

Thank you for your help

1) Im sorry - i was actually not reffering to adgroups but just ads. So that's what i've already done. Doing it like this results in 50/50 exposure on both ads. But the clicks varies a bit. That's why I want the "split" to happen after clicking the ad. You understand?

2) I have tried a redirect using a split-test software tool. The issue here was that the 50% sample group that was redirected could never go to the index page without being re-redirected..

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey tiger,

With respect to the redirect tool. Why not send them all to a neutral page and then send half the traffic to index page and half to product page. That way any redirects will only occur on your neutral page. So a page inaccessible from any links or the such. A stand alone landing page that can only be reached directly.

This way you will get past that issue, as the index page will not be the redirect point but a destination URL.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Clynton

I can see how that would work! But very importantly I have to be able to track conversions of the two landingpages. I'm woried this might get messy with the solution? What are your thoughts on this?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
That should not be a problem, again you have a couple of options here depending on how are tracking conversions.

The most simple solution will be to use analytics to track the conversions. You would have to set up 2 different funnels, with starting points at the respective landing pages. Thus you would be able to attribute conversions to each funnel. So both start at redirect page and then each funnel goes to page A or page B. The funnel then ends at conversion point. This of course is dependant on the user not leaving the page and coming back at a later stage.

It is of course a bit tricky as they are not being sent to separate stand alone conversion points or landing pages.

Another option would be to tag the user dependant on which page they were sent to. Then have 2 different thank-you pages with 2 different conversion tracking codes. When a user completes the process they will be served the thank you page dependant on their first landing page. Not sure on the scope of this and feasibility with various scenarios. Will have to talk to some development guys.

Of course the ideal situation would be to have your conversion point on each page that you are testing. You then give each of those conversion points a different tracking code. Of course this is susceptible to the user browsing your website and converting elsewhere.

The best situation would be for these pages to be standalone landing pages.

Perhaps another user can chime in and suggest a better way!

Hope this helps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is such a helpful thread - thank you! I was testing this out today and AdWords would not let me set up a landing page split test experiment due to the type of campaign I was running. What types of campaigns are eligible? I would like to split test two destination urls with varying landing page content.

Thank you in advance.