2.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Using meta robots tags to block GoogleBot, but not AdsBot

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If I have a set of PPC campaign pages which are designed for high PPC conversion but are not wanted in organic search, I need to try and block GoogleBot from indexing the pages, but I also need to allow AdsBot-Google to crawl the pages.

Note: In this case I need to do this by using meta tags (can't edit robots.txt for this).

So, if I implement a meta robots tag on my PPC campaign pages as shown below, it will prevent GoogleBot from polluting the organic search index with PPC-specific pages.

<meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow">

The key question here is: does it also block AdsBot cause Quality Score issues in AdWords?

Does either a meta noindex+nofollow or noindex+follow disrupt AdsBot & the damage Quality Score calculations?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Adam K

Good question. I think for keeping the site out of Google's index, the noindex command is all that's needed. I would probably change the nofollow to follow to alleviate any concerns with the affect on AdsBot, but I doubt the nofollow matters at all.

From my understanding, the only issue with AdsBot is when you explicitly keep it out with your robots.txt or htaccess.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply David, and I appreciate the information. Smiley Happy

However, I would like to see if anyone can offer any form of specific confirmation that the use of a noindex meta tag will not block or hinder any aspect of Adsbot? Specific information on how Adsbot interacts with these tags would be very helpful as I need to relay this to the marketing teams concerned and allay their fears about negatively impacting the performance of the PPC channel.

Thanks in advance!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adam K
March

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Adam K

The definition of noindex should do that. Noindex means you are telling a bot (that cares) not to include the page in its search results.   Adsbot has nothing to do with Google's index.  It simply reviews landing pages that are used for Adwords traffic. GoogleBot is what would consider the noindex command.

I can understand marketing teams can be paranoid, so perhaps the best solution here is to address GoogleBot directly in your meta instead of all robots?

For sources, here is how Google defines what noindex means: https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/93710
Here is where they discuss what blocks Adsbot: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404197 ( you need to go down to the "How to block your landing page from review part.)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Cool! Thanks again David.