AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Using keyword match type - The right way?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I would like to know about how I can optimize my campaign and it's ad groups by right keywords type.

Currently I am using BMM on all ad groups that I have (previously using only broad match type)

So, is it good idea to use broad, phrase, exact & BMM keywords in same ad group or creating separate ad groups for every match type?

Thanks,

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using keyword match type - The right way?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi,

I really don't think you should use separate ad groups for different match types. You should use ad groups to structure your account for useful categories rather than for match types.

I personally use multiple match types in same campaign and adgroup but it depend on what you expecting. If you need to test how different match types will work and want to compare their results against each other I think its a good idea to run a Experiment campaign and see. For general practice I think using adgroup for more meaningful categorization will give you better results

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Hello Mansoor S,

there are many different views on the account structure.

Using BMM, exact and phrase match in on ad group is very common(Not broad match though). And then scale max. CPC according to their match type - broad lowest, exact highest bid.

Another very recommended account structure, but also very labourious is dividing each match type to separate ad group - With this structure you will have easier control about bids and match types than in previous account structure.

Alex

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
The advantage of separating keywords based on match types is having a tightly themed ad-copy for the exact match.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hey Mansoor,

There is no definite strategy as if what to be followed. All it depends upon is how well you are able to get hold of your account structure and able to match the search terms to the required keyword inside your account to the maximum level.

In addition to informative responses above, I would also suggest you to read this help center where it is explained how similar keywords are matched to search terms: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

Whether you add different match types in single ad group OR you create different ad groups for different match type keywords, the point is you should be aware of what exactly are you doing and based on the search queries being triggered, you are able to take the wise decision on what sort of account level tweak is required. Where you need to add the negative keyword, whether there is a need to add embedded negative keyword match type or not, increase/decrease of bid etc....

My 2 cents!

Pankaj