AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Using exact match in Negative keywords, will variants still come up for the words used?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey There, 

I believe this was addressed in 2012, but wanted to go over everything and make sure it hasn't changed and that I've gotten this right. 

If I use exact match to add a negative keyword phrase, only that specific phrase will be blocked. Not other phrases that have similar or one or two of the same words? 

EG If I have a Hot Chocolate shop and added [chocolate] I could disregard people who are searching generally for chocolate without blocking people who want hot chocolate. However if I wanted to end all chocolate searches and variants I'd add chocolate without brackets to negative keywords. 

This is what I thought was the case but on here it looks like exact match and phrase match don't work anymore? I just want to make sure I haven't stuffed up my campaign. 

Any help much appreciated. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Maryanne E
November 2016

Using exact match in Negative keywords, will variants still come up for the words used?

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Maryanne,

For someone asking a question here, you wrote a great answer!

You are spot on. Nothing has changed, and negatives still work as expected. 

I've audited enough accounts to know that broad negatives are under-utilised. The AdWords default is exact at ad group level if you just click the button. The majority I add are broad or phrase at campaign level - I bypass the button and ad them by hand. 

Adding negatives and improving ad copy give the best return on time spent. Unfortunately they are the two tasks people generally prefer not to do.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

If you add Exact Match [Chocolate] it will only block that Exact Match . It won't block those who want Hot Chocolate . That is if you are using Exact Match Negative Keyword.

Hope this helps clear your doubts Cheers! Smiley Wink 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Maryanne E
November 2016

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Maryanne,

For someone asking a question here, you wrote a great answer!

You are spot on. Nothing has changed, and negatives still work as expected. 

I've audited enough accounts to know that broad negatives are under-utilised. The AdWords default is exact at ad group level if you just click the button. The majority I add are broad or phrase at campaign level - I bypass the button and ad them by hand. 

Adding negatives and improving ad copy give the best return on time spent. Unfortunately they are the two tasks people generally prefer not to do.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much - champion!! 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks heaps Rob!!

Much appreciated Smiley Happy Smiley Happy