AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Using demographics from social networks and remarketing from adwords

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all !

I was wondering if any of the more experienced users here have used demographic targeting from facebook or any other social network available in GDN to send visitors to specific orphane landing pages and build remarketing lists especially for a gender and age segments , in order to remarket for example clothing for women and if it works better than a normal demographics options from GDN.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using demographics from social networks and remarketing from adwor

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Hi Adrian,

Another good question! I can't speak for FB targeting, but in terms of remarketing, if you had a large list of users and a very targeted set of ads, then this could well work more effectively than a simple demographic targeting as the users in your remarketing list have already shown an interest in your products and services are likely to respond more favourably to your ads.

Does anyone else in the Community have any thoughts on this?

A.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I am not questioning how important users are from remarketing lists, I am wondering if demographic targeting in the GDN which contains a lot of "unknown" ages and sex targeting, can be outperformed by building a list of visitors from social networks where they declare their sex and age in the first place , and the targeting for "young women" can be much more accurate for the purpose of selling clothes.

GDN has a facebook.com placement, but i don't know what it is, this is what the ad planner shows :

facebook-gdn.png

[Later edit]

A 1 on 1 comparison would be :

1) Campaign on the GDN with age and sex targeting for 18-25 Female ( on any other sites but social sites )

2) Campaign on GDN with remarketing to visitors from social ads ( from GDN or not ), where the social ads have been targeted for 18-25 female

[2nd later edit] How exactly are age and sex segments defined on the GDN, is it the same for all the pages of a website and it is defined by the Adsense account holder, or is it algorithmic based on the info on page ? This is important if you try to sell women clothing and you bid blindly trusting "the GDN" to find you appropriate age and sex segments.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian,

That is a great question and a dilemma I've come across a few times. My approach is to use both.

In my experience, while the demographic targeting can work well, and in theory it should perform better, you might find it fairly limiting, in terms of actual volumes you get through if you don't allow "unknown" users.

On the other hand, a well targeted set of placements - in your example, sites about women's fashion, picture blogs about dress ideas etc. - will anyway get traffic largely from your target audience and then even if you don't demographically restrict these placements, you're likely to get good ROI on such ads.