2.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Using broad match modifier for some words in keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've heard that if you use broad match modifiers for certain words in your keywords only, Google will actually ignore the + and sees the whole keywords as a broad match.

Any insights on this?

5 Expert replyverified_user

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hello @Stanley T,

I don't think that is true.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Stanley,

Can you elaborate your query with the help of an example?

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Stanley T,

Are you referring to using keyword modifiers with Display campaigns?

If so, you are correct that they won't affect those. 

Kind Regards,

James

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Stanley T

Modified Broad Match keywords are actually Broad Match keywords, but with two conditions. The conditions are - the modified terms must be present in users' queries, and the synonyms of your modified broad won't trigger ads.

The Plus sign indicates that those terms in the keywords are modified. It does not mean that your ads would trigger only when someone adds plus sign(s) to their queries. In that sense, it's taken as broad only, without the plus sign. 

And yes, if your question is about Display Network, @J Clemens has rightly said that your plus signs would be ignored and the keywords would be treated as Broad match only. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

If you make a word in a broad match keyword "modified", by adding a plus sign, then that word will have to be present in the search term, in order for a match to occur.  Some very minor variations are allowed, e.g. plural versus singular. 

I have seen this is the way it works by monitoring the search terms, vs. what they are matching against, in many campaigns. 

You can see it yourself by clicking on "Search Terms" to get the history; then add the column "Keyword" to the displayed table. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply guys. But what if only 1 word in the keyword has the plus sign?

Note: This is for the Search network only not display.

For example:

+metal sign

+metal signage

According to Google support, if each word in the keyword doesn't have the + sign, Google will ignore the + and see it as a broad match.

So in the example:

We would rank for terms like aluminium sign or metallic signage.

I'm still waiting for more data to come in but what are your thoughts?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Stanley,

"... if each word in the keyword doesn't have the + sign, Google will ignore the + and see it as a broad match."

Gut feeling is that is a false statement. However, I never checked on it. Will you please share your findings as data are coming in?

Best,

Lakatos

Top Contributor Alumni
# 9
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

I had used something like this long time back and not sure if it still applies but that time I had observed that words which are preceded by + was in all search terms but not the word without +. 

In your example +metal signage should trigger for search term 'metal grills' but not necessarily for 'neon signage'. This was long time back so not sure about it in current context.  Please keep us posted on your results. 

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

I think you have been given incorrect advice. With BMM keywords you are essentially saying to Google that the search term must include the word with the + sign

so, as the examples given above - "metal" would have to be included. The rest of the term is still broad, so Google might include "metal billboard", since it would be fair to think of a billboard and a sign to be similar enough. However, you could not trigger for "plastic sign" since the required word - metal - is not present.

One further comment about stripping out the symbols - Google does indeed ignore symbols - so if you leave a space between the + sign and the keyword "+ metal sign" for example, this would effectively be treated as... metal sign ... as a broad match keyword.