AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Using both a subdomain AND a folder in a display URL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Has anyone used both a subdomain AND a folder in a display URL?

My worry is that this would make the URL too long and decrease CTR.

example:

brand.comapny.com/keyword

What was your experice/ results on CTR?

Also, with or without www?

Thanks

Graham Hunter

Interwebs Marketing

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using both a subdomain AND a folder in a display URL

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Graham; Welcome;

I am now optimizing a campaign where we use DKI in the display URL.

CTR is astonishing, compared to "domain only" display URL.

I think that DKI in the display URL, or what you call "folder", gives focus on the product / service, and should improve CTR

Read more:

Dynamic Keyword Insertion in URLs

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/Dynamic-Keyword-Insertion-in-URLs/td-p/12624

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I agree with MosheTVL,

As long as it fits within the 35 character limit, having the display URL closely match the search phrase is a good thing.  

Using this technique, we haven't experienced any downside to the longer display URL.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I've never used a sub-domain and a folder (I don't recall ever using a sub-domain actually) but using what appears to be a folder (using the keyword) does increase CTR in most cases.

Moshe's use of the DKI works too but only if the resulting string is 35 characters or less. If you use a sub-domain as well, that severely restricts the length of the keyword, typically likely only ten characters or so (likely less) would be left for the keyword. As most of my keywords would not fit, I use this format:

www.companyname.com/keyword

where the keyword is typically the brand. This is only option for the keyword to show somewhere in the ad when the brand is a trademark. But

brand.companyname.com

would work too. They only reason I can see to use both is in cases such as:

sony.companyname.com/TV

sony.companyname.com/VCR

or better yet, to include the model:

sony.companyname.com/TV-modelno

Note that you cannot have spaces in a URL so when using the DKI, Adwords would insert a +. This may look weird to some and actually decrease CTR (in some cases it may actually help). But test and see.

I've never heard someone worry or even considered that a URL could be too long and decrease CTR. Something else to test... but I don't expect this to make a difference.

As for the www part, you now have no choice: Google automatically inserts it as well as a trailing / after the TLD. It will also show in lower cases, except for the folder part which will respect your capitalization.