Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Using Scripts To Adjust Bids Based on ROAS

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

I am currently working on a project where I have to develop an AdWords script to adjust the bids based on the geographical location. The ROAS is first calculated on a campaign-state level and then a campaign-city level and then the bid adjustment is calculated using the information obtained from the mentioned places. 

I read another topic on this forum where a person had asked the same thing but I need to do this via scripts. Can you provide me with a method to go about this? Not necessarily the code, but a general idea or algorithm will do too.

Thanks a lot.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using Scripts To Adjust Bids Based on ROAS

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

I think @Jon_Gritton might assist you technically on this since he is our AdWords script expert.

However, you might find this link little helpful while working on the script for locations: https://developers.google.com/adwords/scripts/docs/features/campaign-targeting

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Ashutosh (thanks for the shout @pankaj1782 ),

Scripts can certainly read location targets and read and set their bid modifiers.  There's also a geo report - GEO_PERFORMANCE_REPORT - that can return performance data for a given location including cost and value data to calculate ROAS so in theory there's no reason why a script shouldn't be possible.

The only complication is that the methods for retrieving "built-in" locations such as countries and states is different from the method for retrieving proximities (radius targets) so if you have Campaigns using proximities you'll need to call both methods and then test for the existence of one or the other.

How I'd probably approach it is to first select the Campaigns, then retrieve their locations, including the location Id, then run the above report against that Id to return performance data.  I'd then compare that data to my targets and adjust the existing bidModifier appropriately.

A few tips:  I'd probably adjust the bid modifier in steps of just 1% at a time and set upper and lower limits to avoid excessive modifications.  What your limits are will depend upon your business but bear in mind if you're too aggressive you could practically stop a location showing Ads when the bid modifier becomes -90% (the most you can set).  Equally, if you don't cap the increase modifier, you could end up with very high bids.

Bear in mind when calculating ROAS, the value returned from these reports includes a comma for the thousands separator so if you have conversion values over 999 you'll need to remove the comma and, ideally, cast it to a number.

Make sure you use a decent time period for the report to gather significant data and I'd also be tempted to run this script only once a week to allow the effects of changes to appear in that data.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Ashutosh, quick update:

I've just been playing with this and it looks like the Report you'll need to use is this one - CAMPAIGN_LOCATION_TARGET_REPORT - not the Geo report I mentioned above.  This report allows you to specify the location Id.  Don't forget to include the Campaign Id in your query or it'll return all the data for that Location id, for all Campaigns, one row each (although that might give another method of running the script).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits